• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pics of results of target practice on archery targets.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaun748

Feb 28, 2005
DISCLAIMER: dont try this at home kids!!( had to say it). I have always found IYADIVERS test to be interesting and since I dont have access to a pool I tried next best thing available.

this test wont replicate the same results as an inwater shot(water will not give such solid support obviosly). I did not have a lot of time prior to work, so next time I will be more specific with future results..
the penetration you see is also irrelevant and inconsistant since the foam targets are old and have prior holes from archery broadheads.

I also sprayed the track and gun with water to as the rubber showed signs of rubbing when shot on dry stock(plus the track should have water). only had time for 5 shots and target was a measured 21 ft from the muzzle.
I was aiming at the 2 inch black circle..the two prior impacts are marked in red outline. there were no tips used so I had to guesstamate aim and was very happy with results.

the gun I used was my WONG MAHI with 3 9/16 bands(26,27,28 inches as sent by DARYL).. the shaft were shot bare to save my tips and target.
I shot a 55 inch 5/16th
a 60 inch 5/16
a 57 inch 9/32 single flopper.

I must first say this gun was suprisingly recoil free and ACCURATE. I got the gun 2 weeks ago and only fired it twice underwater at kelp so far(viz has been bad and have not had chance to set up ocean target).

all shots are within about a 5 inch area even with differant size shafts & also consider thats at a solid 21 foot range, which shows what the gun is capable of in a static environment.
15274flying_026-med.jpg

15274flying_027-med.jpg

15274flying_028-med.jpg

Last edited:
another intresting note was that the tab-fins ended up upside down 4 out of 5 shots..it seems, in air at least, that the mono has a tendency to roll the shaft upside down..I wish I could do a water test to see how the shaft & mono act in a fluid environment while inflight.

It should also be noted that the lowest shaft impact seen is the 57 inch 9/32 which was shot with only 2 bands, looking at the impacts after this fact really leads me to be impressed with the accuracy potential of the gun.

Hi Shaun,

I need to have your job. You have way toooo much time on your hands to have that much fun. So the water vis is terrible? I had Two deeper blue spearos (Rigdiverand Anderson )come on over to test fire thier new guns here.
If you can hit any of our small skittish fish with the double phd's you are Da Man! Be careful I don't want to see you in my Dental chair. :))))

I just met another deeper blue member from South Carolina, (CoinFlasher?). Great guy. The weather was too rough to take him out so Chad the good sport he was, he spent the day helping Rick and I get his new boat ready for its maiden voyage.

I have the new tips and will send them out to you. Now you can give me my loaner back before you decide to test it on rocks. Remember that rocks are out of season.

Aloha, Daryl

Hey Daryl, as you can see I am enjoying the gun..though for safety reasons I know you warn users to never load or fire a gun out of water so I take all risk on myself for doing it(but I have always wondered how one would shoot out of water).....

I am VERY impressed with it's accuracy as you can tell...as I say I was shooting bareshafts so I had no tips to sight off of and the shafts were differant lengths, yet the consistant grouping potential in your gun design is superb...the shooter and water conditions are the only variables that will affect the shot, not withstanding the movement of the fish(I cant blame the gun for the miss after seeing these results)...

Last edited:
Uh...

shaun748 said:
...though for safety reasons I know you warn users to never load or fire a gun out of water so I take all risk on myself for doing it.

Glad to know that you know that, Shaun. :hmm Daryl and I as well as the rest of the DB staff here were thinking of pulling your post on account of it's complete disregard to safety and outright stupidity, but I'm letting it go with your admission that it's on you.

To everyone else- DON'T TRY THIS!! THIS IS A RECIPE FOR GETTING SERIOUSLY BUGGERED UP OR AT THE LEAST, PUTTING A HOLE IN THE WALL. NOT SMOOTH EITHER WAY.

:head

thanks SVEN,,,I kinda wondered about posting initially also,,,I knew others had to be curious also(hopefully I am the only one dumb enough to try it)...

I especially wanted others to know that even though DARYL was very nice in his response to my post he would never condone it himself...And I know that the Board here would also give the same warning to me and others...

If you had ever wondered if it was possible you can now use my test to say it is,without risking injury,damage or worse yourself..

I did make sure my home owners insurance were up to date and I had some "bail" money in my savings account, as well as a good dental policy :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT