• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

PIKE, im maybe touching on a sore subject

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

felipe felop

May 26, 2008
in other parts of the planet, the latin name esox lucius (pike) may be part of there natural diet however in the uk its not, what i will say possibly to the wrath of others is try it but take it from open running water ie;a river not a canal,but first & foremost is try a snorkel dive in your nearest river not alone i might add,have back up but remember what u see & too check out whether the water is healthy the eyes &brain thing will say so much

This would be illegal in the UK, please check the EA website before venturing into a UK river or lake with your gun :)

Environment Agency - Fish

Flyflicker said it all.
As far as I know, in the whole western Europe, spearfishing for pike is legal ONLY in 3 italian lakes on the southern edge of the Alps (Lake Garda, Lake Iseo and Lake Como). And also there, the regulations are strict in terms of bag limits, size limits and season (no catching fish during the reproduction season).
Take care :)

Reactions: flyflicker
We can shoot them in Saskatchewan Canada and I have eaten many, but have lost my taste for them. They prefer the warmest part of the lake and start to taste like mud and swamps depending on where and when you get them. Plus they are full of bones that are impossible to filet out (in my case).

Erik this is a traditional recipe from my mother's town (I posted a pic of the town in my last Pm to you, remember).
The recipe is called "Luccio in salsa" (pike in sauce, although it's not exactly a sauce, it's more of a "dressing").
- A pike of a half kilo
- a pickled green pepper
- a pickled yellow pepper
- 150 g. capers
- 100 g. extravirgin olive oil
- 3 salted anchovies
- a handful of parsley
- a glass of white wine vinegar
- a glass of dry white wine
- the zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 bay leaves
- two cloves of garlic
- one onion
- one carrot
- one stick of celery
- salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation
Simmer the pike in abundant water with the bay leaves, onion and carrot, vinegar, salt and white wine; drain and leave to cool. Meanwhile, chop finely the capers, parsley and peppers. Pour the extra-virgin oil into a pan and add the anchovies which have been cleaned of salt and bones. Fry the anchovies gently until soft, then add the chopped mixture and a little vinegar; add salt and pepper to taste and cook gently for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, remove the bones from the pike, cut it into pieces and arrange on a serving dish; grate the lemon zest over the fish and add the lemon juice; then add the hot sauce. Leave to rest for a few hours; serve the pike cold accompanied by hot slices of grilled cornbread and a cool dry, fruity white wine.
Luccio in salsa:
lucio_in_salsa.jpg

The ancient and noble town this recipe is from:
mantova.jpg

mmm, i,ve watched this thread with interest,cos over a period of time i get the feeling its tits on a windscreen kind of view,don't stop to admire the view too long cos your going to put your booties,fins & your guns back in the water again anyway,no pun intended, too make some sense out of this is to say,in privately owned waters pike will still be taken too eat.shall we say not to offend the purists,don't even go there,take a swim down your local river, no gun mind,for f***ks get permission first, dont forget the salinity thing cos you might be bottom happy hmmm!!! ,, forget the political altercations, and the righteous brothers inc. Pike are a predatory fish and they will hunt brackish water as well its in there nature,laws are made to stop the hungry from eating,ask any supermarket manager,to the french ,spanish & portuguese its a more acceptable fish for there culture to eat or am i in need of much edumacation, bottle of collapso i have quaffed!!

Last edited:
I am from Saskatchewan and like Erik said we can hunt them there. I agree they don't always taste the best but if you know what lakes to hunt then they can taste a lot better then the stereotypical pike. The pike that eat shrimp as there staple food taste the best and there flesh will be very pink. We eat a lot of pike since they are easy to come by and fairly easy to shoot. I have swam along side some large pike (over 20lbs) and they just watch you, the largest one I have ever seen I poked with my gun just for kicks. If you know how to fillet them you don't get any bones, it takes a lot of practice to get good at actually cutting the bones out and leaving the meat.

We cook most of our pike over a fire right after hunting so our recipes are simple, our favorites are…

-Beer and pancake batter (Aunt Jemima’s) this one hides the fishy taste well and the taste changes depending on which beer you use.

-Flour and lemon pepper

-Salt and vinegar chips crushed up

you have such a..... ok you got me there,i took a recce trip today between dawlish & teignmouth in devon just past the smugglers,vis was as long as a cats tail but it did change further to the east of the bridge,about 3m, but it was a tough swim on a strong tide knackered after a day of the slaves saying wheres me surf & turf

While it's illegal to spearfish for freshwater fish in the UK, you are allowed to catch pike with a rod:). I caught one spinning as a teenager. They get some huge pike on the Norfolk Broads. Although I believe Mike Ladle fishes for pike around Dorset in winter. [BTW E. Dorset was listed as the top place in the UK to live to a ripe old age for both men & women in today's Mail.] By the way, some angling clubs with exclusive fishing rights, now require that pike be returned live to the water:(.

thanks for your info mr. x,i have pike fished all of my snotty nosed days , still do now and again, but if the water is privately owned is the owner still open for prosecution under uk law , if i take a fish from his owned stretch, i can't ask him cos he is out in the blue yonder somewhere along the bahamian chain of islands ,jammy scrubber,no point getting jealous,anybody know?

Re: PIKE, I'm maybe touching on a sore subject

You're not allowed to spear them around here, but I've eaten some in the past that we're caught on hook and line.

My grandmother used to pickle the smaller ones in her younger days, but I've never cared much for pickled anything- unless it's me after a good beer or two.:friday

The best way that I've eaten them was as part of a fish boil. This, basically, involves throwing the fish, carrots, potatoes, onions, and seasonings in a big pot and cooking it over a campfire. At some point it boils over and dinners ready. :)

They might be good out of some of the lakes around here, but since they are higher up the food chain they would have a lot more toxins in them than a panfish.

What's the ratio of beer to pancake batter?

Jon

thanks for your info mr. x,i have pike fished all of my snotty nosed days , still do now and again, but if the water is privately owned is the owner still open for prosecution under uk law , if i take a fish from his owned stretch, i can't ask him cos he is out in the blue yonder somewhere along the bahamian chain of islands ,jammy scrubber,no point getting jealous,anybody know?
rofl
You're not allowed to spear pike. However, if you have a UK rod licence and have permission to fish on said person's waters, I don't see why you couldn't take pike - unless they specifically told you not to (obviously the situation would be clearer if they specifically told you that you could take the pike).

You might want to read this thread, as it covers much of the same ground: http://forums.deeperblue.net/uk-ireland/73342-attention-uk-spearos-salmon-sea-trout.html#post664087

Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 (c.51)
Main body
Part I Prohibition of Certain Modes of Taking or Destroying Fish, etc.

Version 1 of 1
1. Prohibited implements.— (1) Subject to subsection (4) below, no person shall—
(a)use any of the following instruments, that is to say—
(i) a firearm within the meaning of the M1 Firearms Act 1968;
(ii) an otter lath or jack, wire or snare;
(iii) a crossline or setline;
(iv) a spear, gaff, stroke-haul, snatch or other like instrument;
(v) a light;
for the purpose of taking or killing salmon, trout or freshwater fish;
(b)have in his possession any instrument mentioned in paragraph (a) above intending to use it to take or kill salmon, trout or freshwater fish; or
(c)throw or discharge any stone or other missile for the purpose of taking or killing, or facilitating the taking or killing of any salmon, trout or freshwater fish.(2) If any person contravenes this section, he shall be guilty of an offence unless he proves to the satisfaction of the court that the act was done for the purpose of the preservation or development of a private fishery and with the previous permission in writing of the water authority [F1 for the area in which the act was done].
(3) In this section—
“crossline” means a fishing line reaching from bank to bank across water and having attached to it one or more lures or baited hooks;
“otter lath or jack” includes any small boat or vessel, board, stick or other instrument, whether used with a hand line, or as auxiliary to a rod and line, or otherwise for the purpose of running out lures, artificial or otherwise;
“setline” means a fishing line left unattended in water and having attached to it one or more lures or baited hooks;
“stroke-haul or snatch” includes any instrument or device, whether used with a rod and line or otherwise, for the purpose of foul hooking any fish.
(4) This section shall not apply to any person using a gaff (consisting of a plain metal hook without a barb) or tailer as auxiliary to angling with a rod and line or having such a gaff or a tailer in his possession intending to use it as aforesaid.
So you could try getting the permission of the local water authority -- good luck with that.:D

Last edited:
not sure they'll let you in with a gun.. but I saw a MASSIVE pike in the SaltFree lake this weekend!

Flyflicker said it all.
As far as I know, in the whole western Europe, spearfishing for pike is legal ONLY in 3 italian lakes on the southern edge of the Alps (Lake Garda, Lake Iseo and Lake Como). And also there, the regulations are strict in terms of bag limits, size limits and season (no catching fish during the reproduction season).
Take care :)
Sorry to re-open an old topic, but...

To some extend it is legal to spear pike in freshwater, or rather brackish water. In Denmark spearing is illegal in freshwater, but not in the brackish waters (most brackish waters are part of the fishing territory). Due to the low salinity the pike can travel in and out these areas in the hunt for cod, hearing, trout and other saltwater fish. Still we only have a few river deltas and a couple of fjords where this is possible.

In general spearing for pike in Denmark is often frowned upon.

Inside the Baltic Sea there is at lot of areas that are more like freshwater than saltwater localities. Also I believe it is legal to hunt for pike in Norway, and it is definitely legal in Finland. Spearing for pike in Finland is very well accepted.

Last edited:
While i'm on and to save me the time can someone direct me to the perfect place to download all of the UK fishing laws so i can check em out

Cheers ma dears.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT