• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pike spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sorry not into this vid. Pike are an apex predator and therefore their numbers in a given body or water will be considerably less than other fish species present. They have few (if any) natural predators (in the water) and are not easily spooked. Favouring an ambush style of hunting they tend to stay stationary and not move about too much. Shooting them is not a challenge.

Sorry not into this vid. Pike are an apex predator and therefore their numbers in a given body or water will be considerably less than other fish species present. They have few (if any) natural predators (in the water) and are not easily spooked. Favouring an ambush style of hunting they tend to stay stationary and not move about too much. Shooting them is not a challenge.

No doubt you have a much better knowledge of the abundance of pike in Polish lakes than I do. However , advising that a fish shouldn't be taken simply because its "to easy" or with "few natural predators" makes no real sense to me. If it was over fished then sure, but if fishers are taking them at less than the rate they are being replaced whats the harm?

Cheers Sharkey

Reactions: BatRay
Sharkey I have nothing against the OP personally, I do not know him. But my concern is that Pike are an apex predator. Therefore their numbers in a given body of water is considerably less than that of other fish species present. They play a crucial role in maintaining the health of other fish species within the same body of water and in turn the overall ecosystem as a large freshwater carnivore. This fish is likely a male, given it's size (although this is only an assumption). It is especially sad when you see large pike taken as these are likely to be females. These are fewer in number and larger. If females are taken, this can result in a population explosion (relative to over all pike numbers) of smaller males, this again drastically effects the ecosystem of a water. So as you will see the removal of such an important freshwater fish species from a body of water will have a negative effect.

Sharkey I have nothing against the OP personally, I do not know him. But my concern is that Pike are an apex predator. Therefore their numbers in a given body of water is considerably less than that of other fish species present. They play a crucial role in maintaining the health of other fish species within the same body of water and in turn the overall ecosystem as a large freshwater carnivore. This fish is likely a male, given it's size (although this is only an assumption). It is especially sad when you see large pike taken as these are likely to be females. These are fewer in number and larger. If females are taken, this can result in a population explosion (relative to over all pike numbers) of smaller males, this again drastically effects the ecosystem of a water. So as you will see the removal of such an important freshwater fish species from a body of water will have a negative effect.

I know little about pike in Poland, but do know a wee bit about conservation & restoration.

No, I don't see the importance of "assumptions" in the management of any wildlife resource. Without explaining actual trends in abundance, how the monitoring was conducted, identifying the key threats to the population & then the abatement plans, your assumption could also be a threat to the pike & its environment by dissengaging important stakeholders, who would be prepared to work for the protection if this habitat.

Apart from the left side of politics who pretent to be green for their own objectives, protectionist conservation is finished. It failed, & failed badly by creating a torrent of ecological change & loss of biodiversity. Since 1992 the IUCN has promoted "wise" or "sustainable use" of wildlife. This has engaged stakeholders & added value to habitat, & seen success where protectionism failed. The trick is getting the "wise" use right.

If our friends are taking pike below their recruitment, I don't see a problem. If spearing pike is a threatening process then it needs to be managed. This can be done by restricting effort & with bag limits if required. "They are too easy" should not in itself trigger protection unless spearos are an actual threat.

Cheers Sharkey

Personally I have my reservations on aspect of 'wise use' policy & on a public forum ..... ... . Me = :banghead: You = :banghead: .. the rest... :sleep:

Personally I have my reservations on aspect of 'wise use' policy & on a public forum ..... ... . Me = :banghead: You = :banghead: .. the rest... :sleep:

Fair enough, but you were happy to push a protectionist policy??

Cheers Sharkey

Pikes are not endangered species, as far as I know. There are so many of them in the Volga river that you can catch the schoolies with bare hands. I agree that shooting smaller ones is not very competitive - they are dumb. However, when they become adult, wise up and grow big - they become much more difficult to hunt for. I used to hunt in Russian rivers and lakes and I must say big pikes ( 60-70 cm or bigger) are much more difficult to hunt than such fish, as chubs, or perches, or even breams- the big ones hide in dark pits. They are generally alert and take off like rockets.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT