• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Places to Camp and Dive?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lochmonster

Jul 17, 2002
Could anyone tell me of any good (preferably GREAT) places to freedive in the US or maybe Mexico that also have campgrounds nearby? I would imagine there are some great spots in Florida and California, I just don't know where they are.

Any info you have would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I did a little research on this before a recent trip to California. Santa Catalina Island and Anacapa Island were both relatively popular camping destinations. In fact, you can get camping packages that will take you, a kayak and the incredible amounts of water that you will need and drop you off at a camping spot. You can paddle to various other spots from there. Also, Catalina has two small towns, so you can re-supply if necessary (i.e. it probably the cushiest destination).

If I remember correctly, the other islands in the Channel Islands marine sanctuary permit camping, but it gets tougher and tougher as you go farther out (the islands are, in order, Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel). For example, I think that I remember reading that Santa Rosa and San Miguel are completely devoid of fresh water sources.

Santa Barbara island, a relatively small island that is separate from the other islands in the group, also allows camping. However, it seems oriented towards the really hard core wilderness folks.

Fires are generally prohibited and I know from personal experience that the local wildlife are expert thieves (and fond of burritos, I might add). The reason that I mention these two facts is that it has an impact on selecting provisions for the trip.

Good luck!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT