• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Plan for a speargun to make.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

chippies

Apr 9, 2010
So i am looking at building this speargun and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with some design changes that could be made or even with tips that i could use whilst making the gun. it is going to be overall 1200mm long with the barrel length of 1000mm. it will be 45mm wide by 50mm deep. hopefully i am going to power it with two 16mm rubbers but am yet to find out all the details. So if you can help a newbie like me in anyway i would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 589
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 478
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 465
Looks very similar to a design that I am almost finished with. I think the profile with the taper is just about the same as well. So far the design looks very nice. This gun only has a 90cm barrel length and about 110cm over all length.

Id say your on the right track.

Where in NZ are you? My wife and I are planning an extended vacation down there next January. We plan on being there for at least 3 months but could end up staying as long as 6. You live in a beautiful country.

BTW Welcome to the board.:friday

Attachments

• Mikes_pistol-6610.jpg
    Mikes_pistol-6610.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 525
  • Mikes_pistol-6611.jpg
    Mikes_pistol-6611.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 515
  • Mikes_pistol-6607.jpg
    Mikes_pistol-6607.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
after looking at your plans a little more I would suggest maybe making less of a taper so that you have room to put the bands at the end of the gun. With the band slot so far back your wasting all the extra length that size gun would have to offer. Or you might try something like this so that you can make that extrem of a taper though I think you may end up getting a little flex.

P3200158.jpg

P3200161.jpg

This is not my gun but its another idea for you. This was a thread off of Spearboard

heres the link
[ame=http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=101715]New Gun Build - Spearboard Spearfishing Community[/ame]

Reactions: foxfish
I might also suggest that you recess the top of the handle into the wood if possible. That way, the force of the recoil is carried in part by the top of the handle frame, and not just the screws.

Reactions: foxfish and blaiz
thanks for all the helpfull info. here is another picture of the plan that i have just changed with regards to the taper. on the proper gun i will laminate the handle into it to make it stronger. i also need help on deciding weather to make the gun have two bands or just the one? Thanks.

blaiz: i am in auckland on the North shore. our country is very beautiful indeed.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 431
in regards to one or two bands, I have always preferred 2 bands for ease of loading. Loading 2 bands as apposed to 1 might take a little longer but i dont seem to strain as hard to load one thick band. Plus you can power up a little.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT