• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

please advice a newb.on sling rubber

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The Brain

Jun 23, 2019
hello can you please advice a newb.on sling rubber
Well I’m not a newb but novis, just want to stop buying premade rubber and rig myself.

watched a bunch of videos they just say latex, I ordered the thickest latex and recieved the smallest

1.recommend pole spear rubber (just the rubber) for a 5' aluminum spearpole, I would like a powerful band but maybe not the most powerful.
2. can I use the 1.7mm kevlar string as a wishbone? pole is a JBL that came w/ a onepiece sling (which has been discharged).
3. I’d prefer a one piece sling what would you suggest to insert into the tube before tying it up?

I would like to order this rubber and use it for
4.spearpole band please include the # of pounds each rubber has.

5. how long of rubber needed for 5' aluminum spearpole?
6.refurbish my JBL aluminum track gun 41" spear guns shock cords rubber on nylon shoot line.
7.tie in-between float and to gun was thinking of using both a fly reel & a DIY float line w/ a bungee include desirable length of rubber plan on 50’ lead line used for crab pots.

also please recommend a decent float line for gun where I can tie on giant 4” fishing swivels rated more than 440lb I have #10. I think at each end, initially was planning to use a tide laundry detergent bottle as a float. targeted species for gun is mahi/cobia/wahoo around 3' until I get real brave.

targeted species for pole anything that’s currently legal day of dive mainly founder, diving in Gulf of mexico includes ICW and tributary’s, my cruising area is Ft. Morgan,AL-destin,FL.

JBLs guns original rubber was to weak stepped up to blue which is acceptable still need to be at least10-12’ for kill shot for pelagics.

I've replaced blue rubber (w/ 5/8” spearit from amazone they don’t publish ratings) on gun rubber, two 24” slings.
8.is the amber a stronger rubber compared to the blue.
9.what’s the hierarchies of rubbers strength?or is rubber rating even standarized by the color ?
thanks for any tips TB

Attachments

• big fishing swivels.jpg
    big fishing swivels.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 309
  • tiny rubber band2.jpg
    tiny rubber band2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 292
I do all my own rigging. Its nice because you can customize to your liking and fix broken stuff when on the water. Mako spearguns has all the rigging and bands you need and has charts for bands and line. As for a float line I use foam workout or yoga things (not sure what they are called), they are cylinder shaped, I get at the dollar store for the float (5$) and floating yellow wrope for the line. Will need crimping pliers if using steel line as I do and copper crimps.
If the band is not strong enough you can shorten it, i like them as short as I am comfortable pulling back, better to pass through than not and pull out. Can also rig one powerband as well.
I use constrictor knots for wishbones and shock cords.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT