• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Plywood Speargun Build

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mike-Chi-D

Jun 10, 2015
90cm Speargun build in Plywood as a prototype before making one in a fancier wood (although plan to use it extensively until I have time to start the next).

18mm Marine ply, usually quite expensive, but managed to get a 2ft x 4ft section for £20 as it was an odd piece at the yard. Seems good quality with a good number of laminates and minimal voids and blunted jigsaw blades very quickly!

Knocked the rough design up on AutoCad and transfered to the ply.

p5pb12469860.jpg

Ermes reverse trigger mechanism, 10mm x 8mm groove routed out from each sides for rail

p5pb12469874.jpg

Two halves joined using west epoxy and some fibreglass

p5pb12469878.jpg

p5pb12469885.jpg

Handle/trigger guard cut out of 1 x thickness of plywood and attached

p5pb12469890.jpg

Extensive sanding/profiling with belt sander

p5pb12469901.jpg

Rail made from epoxy and graphite by using a spear as the male part of the mould, same method as detailed in my thread here:

https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/adding-rail-to-speargun.103598/

p5pb12469926.jpg

Spear I used to create the rail (belongs to the 75cm gun)

p5pb12469936.jpg

Some balsa stuck onto the sides of the handle and profiled.

p5pb12469939.jpg

Next steps:
1. Buy spear/bands/misc hardware and dry fit.
2. Final filleting and sanding.
3. epoxy coating.
4. Fish destruction.

The handle's got about 130g of lead in it giving a slow sink with the spear in and buoyant with spear out. The stripes are made from a can of black spray paint!

Reactions: Mike-Chi-D
Progress:

Added some ply to the bottom of the shaft to stiffen it up, seemed to be a bit flexy without

p4pb12597196.jpg

band hole drilled (16mm dia for a 18mm band), string to mark out the band grooves.
p4pb12597190.jpg

band grooves done with a power file and sandpaper
p4pb12597202.jpg

line guide/keeper
p4pb12597193.jpg

drilled holes for fittings, filled with epoxy then drilled out and tapped.
p4pb12597195.jpg

1st coat of epoxy then sanded back
p4pb12597213.jpg

Looking great Mike. You may need to knock the edges off of the spear notch or your wishbone won't last long. When's the maden voyage?

Cheers,
Thanks again for the trigger - might need another soon, feel like making another already!

I did think the spear notch seems very sharp, what would you use, a fine file?

Hopefully will be able to get out soon down Plymouth way.

Those triggers are easy to fit but I had to cut back the line release & polish the edges on the one I fitted.

Yes a needle file. If you want a nice polish you can use some cord and grinding paste. The edges of the line release can be a little sharp but it's a small price to pay for compact dimentions and ease of installation. Gun buliding is very addictive!

Hello scallywag. Nice gun and good work!
How accurate is with this gun? Shaft without sharksin, this is not a problem? Thank you for your work! It was very useful for me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT