• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pneumatic gun cap

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon305

Jan 21, 2020
Has anyone tried any kind of cap to protect the barrel from sand damaging the o ring on the piston? I have a seac 115 n it looks like ill have to change mine, i do a lot of beach dives, any tips for protection against damage?

You just need to dunk the gun in the water before loading it and when leaving the beach.to wash any sand off. Mares used to supply a front cap that pushed over the muzzle, but I never used it. In fact they still do on some models, so you might look for one of those. Pushing and pulling that front cap off can scratch the anodizing on the muzzle if any sand grains are inside it when down on the beach.

Reactions: Jon305
You can buy the caps here, they are not expensive. Mares have a different star shaped cap for their later Cyranos.

I might add these front caps are intended for long term storage after the gun is cleaned and dried off and for transport to protect the muzzle during a trip. However many guns these days have carry bags as an option for transport which provides some protection for the gun, but I don’t recommend taking bags on the beach where windblown sand can be a problem.

I took my gun to the beach yesterday. It was very windy and I did not go soearfishing as the water visibility was bad. I am glad I had an old sock on the muzzle of the salvimar 85 pneumatic speargun that was attached to the side of my spearfishing backpack. Sand was blowing everywhere.
After 5 year my salvimar 65 piston jammed and I could not load it.. a little sand on the front of the piston prevented it from moving.
I changed the oil and the piston, but then it was leaking air and oil from the trigger when I pulled it (I wonder if I tightened the muzzle too much and it may have moved the o ring near the trigger).
I sent it for servicing to divers world in Miami. They take the speargun apart, change the o rings and clean the inner barrel. $65 including shipping , more if parts are needed. I checked there was a little sand on the new piston, so a deep cleaning was necessary.
you could just use a small plastic bag and a rubber band on the muzzle.
a dry (vuoto) barrel has a smaller hole, no side holes, less entry points for sand in the water. It may be a worthy upgrade if you dive in sandy water conditions. But you need a stainless steel, not galvanized shaft for that.
Pistons are also very cheap, maybe you could replace the piston every year or 2 if sand is a problem.

Yeah i think ill do all of the above lol thanks guys for the ideas, ill look into those caps if not a bag n band will do until i upgrade

You can buy the caps here, they are not expensive. Mares have a different star shaped cap for their later Cyranos.
d
Do you think itll fit my seac 115?

I just tried one of my Sten nose caps on my Seac Sub Asso and it goes on with a firm push as it is a bit tight. The Sten muzzle is a cylinder whereas there are some flats on the Asso muzzle for using a wrench. The cap when pushed on covers the ports, although the flats provide some end gaps into the cap.

Reactions: stefpix and Jon305
I just tried one of my Sten nose caps on my Seac Sub Asso and it goes on with a firm push as it is a bit tight. The Sten muzzle is a cylinder whereas there are some flats on the Asso muzzle for using a wrench. The cap when pushed on covers the ports, although the flats provide some end gaps into the cap.
I see, thank you very much for the info

I see, thank you very much for the info
I used the sleeve of those small folding umbrellas. It has a bungee cinch at the end that i secure on a go pro screw on a camera velcro wrist mount i use on my pneumatic (secured also with a dyneema string as a backup). it works fine. You could also use a condom, but that risks adding more plastic garbage to the ocean.
Those Mares caps seem interesting. I wonder if they work on the Salvimar vuoto muzzle.

They do fit as I just tried the same cap on my Predathor Vuoto 100. It is a snug fit on the base of the muzzle, being loose at first on the curved nose section that screws off to gain access to the vacuum cuff.

I used the sleeve of those small folding umbrellas. It has a bungee cinch at the end that i secure on a go pro screw on a camera velcro wrist mount i use on my pneumatic (secured also with a dyneema string as a backup). it works fine. You could also use a condom, but that risks adding more plastic garbage to the ocean.
Those Mares caps seem interesting. I wonder if they work on the Salvimar vuoto muzzle.
I hadn't thought of that, ive been using a zip block bag with a rubber band, i may try that or just make one with a sinch on it

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT