• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pneumatic shaft coversion customization

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popolarbear

Apr 28, 2008
say im currious if anyone has info on weather the pneumatic spear shafts are interchangeable between cressi and omer guns? i had a disscusion with one dive shop(and have been searching online on several websites) that claimed that almost all the pneumatics are manufactured by the same tooling shop and are nearly identical and interchangeble. my interest is that i love my omer but have been considering a backup cressi of the same size, and if they are compatible i can use my backup omer shafts on the cressi if need be.

final question is i have also read in a euro spero board about sanding down the loading end(butt end) of the shaft to reduce the diameter slightly and thus increase the power of the gun by decressing the friction of the firing release(and increasing slightly the release momentum, as every bit adds up). How dangerous a modification is this and has anyone tried this?? perhaps this end is only to hold the line clip and has no function in the triggar mechanism.

on another website someone allready sugested that it is possible to remove the shaft with the gun still cocked(not recomeneded as dangerous)
this would sugest to me that the but end shape is not essential to the operation and a smooth or slightly reduced size of butt end might be a possible modification.

any suggestions very appreciated.

The tapered end of your spear is important to lock into the piston head otherwise the spear would fall out when you pointed it downwards!
You can interchange the spear of the same diameter, if it is more power you are after then convert you gun to a dry barrel system. Check the link in my signature for more info on dry barrel air guns.

"lock into the piston head to hold the shaft" ok, this makes sense, but the amount of locking holding power seems a bit much. if i just seat the shaft into this piston then grab it to pull out, it is very tight and difficult to remove. this amount of pressure to remove from piston seat seems like it would reduce final total release power. perhaps the mounting but end of the shaft could be only so slightly sanded down just to the point of holding in the piston seat but with smoother release.

Quite right but although the spear may well seem easier to dislodge after sanding I doubt if you will notice any difference in power - still a worthwhile simple mod just be carfull not to over sand.
Dry barrel systems can operate without the but piece on the spear because an "O" ring holds the spear in place.

"be carefull not to over sand"????? is this be carefull or the shaft will be so lose as to fall out when tipped down. or becarefull as something else bad might happen. also is there any inexpensive dry kit mod on the market.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT