• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pneumatic Spear Compatibility

PezGordo

Jul 16, 2024
Hello all,
I am a new member located on the West Coast of Ecuador. I just purchased (not received yet) a Salvimar Rock 40 to be used in our pretty well constant low visibility, shallow coastal inlets. The seller of the speargun was out of stock of spare spears, I would like to purchase a couple of spears (local resources are scarce) thus ordering via mail order is the only option.
Before ordering, here is my question, the Rock uses an 8mm threaded shaft, is it possible to substitute a shaft of another manufacturer, for example this:

"Spear threaded stainless steel Seac sub for Asso speargun pneumatic tyres Ø 8 mm"

I understand that one or both "ends" of the pneumatic spear shafts, the threaded tip and the part that enters the barrel are threaded on, and (may) be removable, is this correct? If not, is there a major difference between 8mm shafts of different manufacturers in regards to the end contacting the piston, such as "spear tail stop, metal "fence" and/or shock absorber design or are the shafts interchangable?
One more question, the 8mm shaft of Salvimar Rock, what is the tip thread size, (M7?), can sombody please confirm this?
Appreciate all replies, thank you kindly.

1721172393453.jpeg

If the end of your spear looks like this - get it
Thanks, for the reply. I did not receive the item yet, here is a picture of the spear from the seller website. Looks similar, same??

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpeg
    IMG_1715.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 39
Look, the purpose of this conical surface at the end to provide tight fit when loading the gun. So the spear would be connected to the piston via friction. In my opinion they are all the same. If you load the gun with a non-salvimar shaft and it would be sliding out (which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY) all you would need is to get those salvimar end-pieces for an 8mm shaft and replace with them the ones on the cressi shaft. Based on this: https://maverick-america.com/salvimar-butt-adapter-for-vintair-cyrano predathor, vintair and cyrano use the same butt. Do some research - if cressi and cyrano butts are interchangeable - get them

Look, the purpose of this conical surface at the end to provide tight fit when loading the gun. So the spear would be connected to the piston via friction. In my opinion they are all the same. If you load the gun with a non-salvimar shaft and it would be sliding out (which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY) all you would need is to get those salvimar end-pieces for an 8mm shaft and replace with them the ones on the cressi shaft. Based on this: https://maverick-america.com/salvimar-butt-adapter-for-vintair-cyrano predathor, vintair and cyrano use the same butt. Do some research - if cressi and cyrano butts are interchangeable - get them
Great info, thank you, appreciate your comments. It appears that Salvimar and Asso 8mm shafts are interchangable.
IMG_1718.png

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT