• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

PNEUMATIC SPEARGUN HAND LOADERS

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
We have seen a variety of strung together loading handles that enable the user to muzzle load a longer gun than they could normally manage. I recently purchased the Mares Long loader which is basically three “Clever” loading handles strung on two cords tied in loops on either side of the handles. It occurs to me that the last and hardest part of the loading draw could benefit from the pulley system devised for the “Dreamair”, the question is where to anchor the “fixed ends” on the pneumatic speargun and where to stow the longer line or cord. Longer as in if you halve the loading effort then you double the travel of the cord which means you do the same amount of work.
Dreamloader .jpg

One possibility is to anchor the cords, or cord as it will be a continuous loop, on the rear of the gun using something that screws into the inlet valve thread. That means replacing the existing inlet valve cap which would be OK on guns with a simple screw cap, such as the Mares pneumatic spearguns. However the Salvimar "Vintair" has a rear cap held on with four long socket head cap screws, so maybe not so easy to do there. The "Dreamair" speargun's "Dreamloader" can utilize the shaft notch or shaft tab (please refer to diagram above), but that is not possible on a pneumatic speargun.

Last edited:
Tromic has an easy loader and I think it attaches at the muzzle. I guess that would also reduce the risk of the spear bending under the load of a pulley loader. But to me, Tromic's loader is a bit too finicky. I like the idea of a pulley loaders more.
Before I got addicted to the Mirages, I did think about these. I used to race small sailboats and dinghies so the idea was not far away (Harken and Ronstan both make nice small pulley blocks that could be used - same as some of the pulley roller guys use). But then with the Mirages, I forgot about it all.But now that I have a 3D printer perhaps I should revisit the idea and try to make a nose cone with an anchor for something like this. Of course, I need to solve the porosity issues first - just too busy with work these days.

For storage, I guess you could attach a small pouch on your belt. Perhaps one that photographers use or all those dudes into tactical shooting - they have all sorts of pouches and such to clip on belts.

Last edited:
Tromic's loader is like a mini-winch and has a very high mechanical advantage as a transverse rod acts as the “winch drum” and you wind the spear inwards into the muzzle with a much longer cranking arm. Hence torque at radius r on the rod, produced by the loading effort opposing you, is overcome by you winding the crank arm at radius L, i.e. the length of the crank arm. This gadget gives you high gearing as L is much larger than r. The cable has to wind helically along the rod, thus the winching action is slow but steady.

Yup. I think a 1:2 (2:1?) simple pulley should suffice. You could incorporate a cleat even. The one downside is that to keep the pulley and cleat small, you'd need to go with smaller line, too. Perhaps 5-6mm which might be a bit hard to pull. But we had trim lines in that size on the boat so it should be doable.
That's actually a very simple V-cleat for dinghies with trapezes that's use for the crew to adjust his/her angle on the trapeze. It has a pulley built-in. That might be the simplest vs. a cam cleat.
Now, I might actually need to make one of these...;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to joke about a "step ladder loader" to load very long guns, but now there is one. Check out this multiple handle loader from Salvimar.
Salvimar step ladder loader.jpg

So that everything is on the one page this is the Mares Clever loader. It consists of three identical Mares loading bars strung together on two cords. This loader has a metal insert for the spear tip to push into, it is not just plastic. One of the loaders goes on the spear tip and the other two are held opposed and flank the spear shaft as they have a half circle cut-out running across them which then forms a full circle. You transfer your pull once you can reach the top loader. Bit of a handful to stow, but shakes out pretty easily once you get the hang of unbundling it.
Mares Clever loader.jpg

One of these is the loader you get when you buy a Mares gun, you can remove the cords and have three separate identical loaders.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT