• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Point Beach St Park (Two Rivers, WI) wreck and diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

waterman503

Apr 12, 2012
Anyone familiar with this area in terms of freediving and scuba diving? We were up there about 7 weeks ago and paddled out to the wreck just north and offshore of the state park. Visibility was insanely good... Caribbean-esqe. It was cold and I only had a 3mm farmer John but freedove the wreck as long as I could. Heading up there this weekend and will dive the wreck on Saturday. Anybody know anything about the wreck or what i might find now that the water will be a little warmer? Any particular hazards?

Jon? Any input. Jon seems to know this state more than anyone and any wreck located around it. I would think by now the water has warmed up quite a bit. I'd still be wearing the 5mm, but 3 should work for a little while at least.

I was trying to figure out which park you were at. If you go to the DNR website and click on the park you were at you have the option of clicking on the "history" link and it will tell you which wrecks are shallow and close. The area is littered with wrecks and some of the deep ones are pretty well know (Rouse Simmons AKA: Christmas Tree Ship) and have had a lot written about them. You could also try to find one of the books written by Chris Kohl. He has info, photos, and GPS numbers for most of the known wrecks on the Great Lakes.

A good friend of mine, Greg Such, runs a dive shop and charter boat out of Two Rivers (Shipwreck adventures) and allows properly trained freedivers to charter his boat. I've done everything from freediving to trimix diving off of his boat and he's a top notch (scuba) instructor. He should know what wreck you're talking about.

Water clarity and temp can vary wildly this time of year with the wind. You can get warm water with limited vis (10'-15' these days) or cold water with 100' of vis- depending on which way the wind blows. Getting a lot of wind out of the east, or south east, will blow all the warm surface water in. It builds up and can push the thermocline down past 100'. Vis isn't as good under these conditions, but should still be better than in any inland lake these days.

Hope that helps,

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT