• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pole Spear Fishing in Ontario

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Xerius23

Jan 24, 2013
Hi everybody and especially those in Ontario, Canada. I joined this community to find out why Ontarian's don't try to do something about changing the spearfishing laws in Ontario. Personally I use a Pole spear but would it not be great if we have better spearfishing laws we could follow in Ontario. As of now we can spearfish only during a certain time in July and its only for Carp and Whitefish and it has to be 100 feet from the shoreline. Why not give us a limit on other fish anyway and let us show the old time anglers that there are cooler and more cardiovascular ways to catch fish. I learned to pole spear fish in Kauai but it would be so great if once in a while I could pole spear a fish or two in Ontario. So if anyone is thinking the same thing...please convey your thoughts and any ideas on how collective Ontarian's who enjoy spearfishing can do something about these unfair fishing laws. Have a great day Ya all.

I'd like it to be legal on breath hold only.

Either way - lets head up to Tobermory in July and get us some tasty whitefish!!!!

I know the spots!

Hi, the point you make about cardiovascular is a good one.

Canada is one country that is currently seeking to reduce the amount of "bad" fats in its food chain to help provide a healthy popullation.

Sorry to hear you have such laws :duhaccross the pond, is it the same across all of Canada?

Thanks for the reply gents. I do freediving as well apnea addict and your suggestions to bag some whitefish up in Tobermory sounds awesome...I'll be in Kauai in July though so there goes the spearfishing season for me here in Ontario...how deep do you have to descend to get the whitefish over there?

It is unfair that the laws are different from province to province. What I would like to know is how the Ontario politician and the Fisheries Ministry determined that Spearfishing is bad for Ontario. Do they think that the Spearos would decimate the fish population here in Ontario, that it is too easy for us to catch fish? I mean they could set limits to how much we can spear and the size of the fish we can spear. And they could tax us and make more money of us by getting us to purchase spearfishing licsence. And how about the ability to generate an economy from the spearfishing population. In the end isn't it just anotherh way for the Fisheries Ministry to fatten their coffers? It's frustrating because how I vision the rule makers are a bunch of old corpulent farts that sit on their 40 grand bass boats making up these one sided rules.

Whitefish can be had in less than -20m up north.

They seem to be solitary from every time I've seen them.

Note: whitefish are illegal - its only carp and white sucker that are legal.

Not interested in eating those... So I won't shoot them.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info AA...I guess it underground bizness for the Spearos in Ontario. On the free dive topic any suggestions on how to better your dive times. I can do about 1 minute dynamic...I do the C02 and 02 tables and recently I've begun to use Pranyama. Any tips or suggestions would be apprciated.

To improve your dive times, come out to the Freedive Toronto weekly training sessions!

Monday's at the olympium,
Tuesday's for underwater rugby and / or underwater hockey in Brampton
Wednesday in Brantford for UWR
Thursday UWH in Brampton.

In the warmer months, freediving in lake ontario weekly as well as weekend trips to Tobermory.

No excuses in Toronto!

You are the epitome of an apnea man!. I'll head over to the Olympium at some point...I was thinking about that anyway. Thanks

I don't have a lot of fun nowadays when I'm respiring. It's all about the breath hold.

At the Olympium (only open until June I think, as it's being rebuilt for over a year) there are those that do repeats and co2 training... Then there are those of us who do statics on the bottom and "simulated dives".

Welcome any time. Let me know in advance and I'll be sure to show up!

I was shocked to learn that spearfishing was not permitted in Ontario when I moved here from Alberta years ago. I would not know the first thing about how to get that changed. Sometimes, I just....er... ignore the prohibition.

Thats one way...I guess I should just swallow this bitter pill...don't want to stir up a hornets nest...too bad a simple petition wont do it.

~~ :wave Hey! I'm driving to Calabogie this summer, Please, lets go to Quebec to hammer some Walleye.
Shout out to me!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…