• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pole spear spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

honda2w

Apr 16, 2011
Was wondering how many of you guys use a pole spear for panfish in wisconsin? Looking to get one, any recommendations on type , length, and tip configuration? Does any body use a pole spear for carp?

I use a 6' JBL with a non-barbed paralyzer tip. It works great and is surprisingly accurate when you hold it with your index finger pointed down the shaft and you "point" at your target to aim.

A longer pole is better in clear water for a little more range. If you dive in poor viz a shorter length would be better.

The downside to a pole spear is holding it loaded and waiting for the fish to get within range - it can be hard to hold after a short while. And sometimes, the bigger fish like to stay just out of range.

The paralyzer tip does little damage to the fish and does an excellent job holding the fish while you string it. I don't see any need for a barbed tip with panfish, as the barbs won't hold the fish any better but will damage more meat.

I recommend a traditional spear gun if carp are your main target - they'll likely bend a pole spear in short order. If transporting a long pole proves difficult, JBL makes a decent breakdown model.

Last edited:
I have a 3 piece my brother from Hawaii sent me, makes it easy to keep in the car with a mask and snorkel for those opportunities that just "happen"... I'm not sure on the brand, but any of you are more than willing to try it whenever and see if it fits you. I'm in NE Illinois, but frequent trips to SE WI.

check out page 5 of the equipment page, I posted it on here when I got it... havent tried it yet, but my brother uses his in Hawaii.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT