• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pole spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I am interested in buying Pole Spear for the reef area at shallow depths of a few meters.
Hunting a small fish weighing 300-700 grams.
What is the range of Pole Spear?
What is the recommended length?

Thanks!

I heard that the range would be about half the spear's length, personally I think it's more than that. I use a short 1m polespear for lionfish but a few days ago I caught a young amberjack with it. Not the most sustainable catch :rolleyes:, but catching something like that with a small handspear was unexpected and extremely rewarding. It gave me a sense of accomplishment I never had when using the speargun.

I now want to build a >2m polespear! But the materials are hard to come by where I live, so it's a long term project.

What would be the best length? I really cannot tell you. I am curious about this as well, so I hope some experienced pole spear fisherman comes along and gives us some good info.

Other than just the ideal length (and ideal length for what kind of environment?), would there also be an ideal diameter? My lionfish spear is solid 10mm aluminium, which is fast, but too thin to comfortably hold for a longer time. But at what diameter does the water resistance become a problem? What's the best material and weight? Paralizer vs tahitian vs slip-tip? Sooo many questions! :)

Thanks, it's in addition to the speargun, I want to fish near the shore with pole spear, recommendations would be great.
I saw two Pole spears salvimar pole spear 14 mm 160cm (3 prong) and salvimar pole spear 18 mm 195 cm (with flopper).
which one if more suitable to this type of spearfishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leander
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT