• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pole-Spearing techniques... Got any?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It sounds like 'yer not getting enough power. I use a 6 ft. JBL with a super dull three prong & it powers right into fish. Never had it bounce off of a fish!

When I'm at full power on my polespear - which is usual when about to spear ANY fish - I am actually gripping on the bottom of the three prong itself!!!!

I'd say thats about a 6 FOOT stretch on the band!!!! I don't think 3 feet of band stretch amounts to very much power.

Try to really stretch out that band next time...Its not easy to hold for very long with out practice.

Don't give up!!!! You'll be so stoked once you get used to it! :inlove

Also, the Calico may be a tough skinned or scaled fish - I don't know - I'm stuck in freshwater. I have bounced off with my flopper tip on HUGE carp before though - when they were completely broadside to me. A 3 banded speargun will bounce right off of ones head!!! Tough critters.

Try to get them (the Calico fish) quartering away from you..Just like if you were hunting with a rifle, or bow & arrow on land...That may allow the three prong to "get under" the scales easier.

I would think that a flopper type tip would maybe even get less penetration. Again...I know not what a Calico is...But my flopper tip tears up fish if they weigh less than a pound or two. I always use a three prong for fish under 4 pounds.

Last edited:
Hi, I need some help on catching a fish. I have gone out spearfishing now (with a pole) 3 times and have never caught anything. There are plenty of fish and i have missed so many times. Is there some special way i should be shooting the spear or any special area i should be aiming for? Also, since it is underwater do i have to aim above or below the fish because it is underwater? Thank You.

if your face is submerged when shooting fish, you just aim at the fish, not high or low. Are you holding the pole spear band towards the tip enough that you are getting good power. until you shoot a few fish i would just aim for the general area of the body. Also if there is a pool you have access to, set up targets and practice. they can be as simple as a milk carten tied to a piece of string so that it's hovering about half way off the bottom of the pool.

I've found that if you actually use your pointer finger and point it at the fish while the spear is "cocked" it gives me more accuracy.

Like they said, whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! After you hit the first one, all else pales in comparison. I shot my first fish probably 13 years ago and still remember it perfectly. It was a grunt passing broadside to me, and when I shot I hit him right in the freakin' head with all three tines. He never even struggled, just instant stiffness. I guess they call it a paralyzer tip for a reason. :)
For a number of reasons, I didn't dive for a long time and am just now getting back into it. This time, I'm mostly orienting on snorkeling and freediving (trying to learn, anyhow), and keeping the tanks for extended bottom time at deeper levels. I can't believe the drag that crap creates.
Just remember, don't give up. Remember, all it took for a lot of us was just one hit. You're gonna love it.

Last edited:
Sling takes a lot of practice but it's great once you get the hang of it. Make sure to twist the band around the shaft by turning the shaft as you cock it. Don't cock the spear until you see what you want to shoot and it is in range otherwise you'll just waste oxygen holding a cocked spear and end up with a sore hand as well. Stay extremely still as well if you just lay on the bottom without moving you'll be amazed at what will swim right up to you. =)

sry to interupt but i diont know how to start my own ? however i was curious which pole spear do u guys believe to be the best on the market

idk if my last comment came up or not so ill say it again just in cas, what pole spear do u feel is the best on the market

:martialManny Puig or Gat-Ku.:martial

I like the Gat-Ku myself...With the slip-tip to attach it (the tip) to a float.

If you only go for fish under 10 pounds then any polespear commercially available will work.

Kawabungas are really nice.. the hybrid half aluminum/graphite ones 7 or 8ft should do you pretty good. Depends on where you're diving and what you're going for. I'm used to diving hawaiian waters where there are quite a few divers and the fish are usually pretty scared. If you have power problems shorten up your rubber or go a little thicker

I just have a pole basic cheap pole from sport chalet and the barbed three pronged tip and it works fine.:)

Nice to see a thread on the topic. It is unfortunate that more divers don't start off with a polespear. I credit more to using a polespear to develop hunting and stalking skills than anything else.

I like to use the analogy of young Luke Skywalker when he has the blast sheild down, blinding his sight, being trained by his master. He finally understood the properties and 'power' of the FORCE after that single experience.

O.K., so I'm a StarWars fan. . . .But, I think you get the point. There is no better way to be introduced and honed into this sport than by starting off with a polespear.

Happy Hunting,
Dustin McIntyre

Attachments

• Copy of GAT-KU polespears 004.jpg
    Copy of GAT-KU polespears 004.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Copy of Copy of DETACH PHOTOSHOP.JPG
    Copy of Copy of DETACH PHOTOSHOP.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Copy of Copy of GAT-KU polespears 003.jpg
    Copy of Copy of GAT-KU polespears 003.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 280
personalty I love to use a polespear. The best technique I can tell you is when stalking fish, slow, slow, slow! Fish I stalk seem to give off a fear sent to the rest of the fish in the vicinity causing them all to get spooked. I try not to move my head to much. When I get the chance for a shot I aim just below the head, after I've made contact I push the spear through the fish, so they don't squirm away. If taking a side shot with a three prong paralyzer tip, I will quickly grab the fish along with the polespear and swim up to the surface so the fish has no chance to escape. If it is a really big fish, squeeze in it's eyes with thumb and middle finger, it will finish the fight quickly, It is more effective and safer than using a knife. But carrying a knife is still necessary, so if you miss the head, or vitals, you can pin the fish with the spear and make a mortal wound with the knife, the knife is best used when the fish is pinned in a tail, or light flesh wound.:cool:

Attachments

• Copy of diving pictures 024.jpg
    Copy of diving pictures 024.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Super pumped to try the Salvimar 18 pole spear I just received. It has zero bend, is over 2m and single flopper tip - perfect.

Looks mean too. Will post back (if lucky ah!)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT