• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pole Spears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hello, i have never been spearfishing and was looking at guns when i came across the pole spears. For one they are MUCH cheaper (im 15 with no cash), but i was wondering if one could teach themself how to work with it. To me it looks harder then a gun, but im no expert. I was wondering exactly how it works and if anyone could tell me what's a good quality weapon. Oh yea, i'll be in all freshwater with it.

For your uses, it'll work well.

Basically, you place the loop of the rubber in the gap between your thumb & pointer finger, then reach as high up the spear(towards the point) as you would like to go. The more you stretch, the more power you have.

Growing up in Hawaii, I spent years playing with pole spears & in some conditions can come back with better stringers of fish than with my gun. It's a great way to get started on a budget & will help you tune your hunting skills.

Hi skarz,

I don't know your fish or area, which can make a very big difference, but in the right conditions, a pole spear is better than a gun, shorter range, but much more control on the fish and rapid fire. For inshore spearing in the northern gulf, 5-15 ft vis, shooting flounder, sheephead, mullet, small snappers, etc. a pole spear is very effective. My buddies used to beat me to death when I used a gun. The best for us was made by Scubapro. about 5 ft , fiberglass with a very strong spear point attachment, bullet proof. If you go that route, spend the money to get a good one. I have no idea what is available today.

Connor

I go for small things such as panfish and that, in freshwater lakes in Wisconsin. I guess Jon and unirda would be the ones to ask, but thanks for all the advice. I figured it would be hard too, and i like a challenge :)

Oh yea, could anyone lead me in the direction of a good first pole spear? Hopefullly it's not TOO pricy

I know it's a retarded question, but i always hear "you wrap the band around your thumb and index finger".... err..... could someone post a picture on how it goes? I tried looking for one, and it only shows ppl with the fish, not how to shoot it. I watched it on survivor and it looks really easy to shoot, i just gotta see how to hold it right :) hehe.

Originally posted by skarz
I know it's a retarded question, but i always hear "you wrap the band around your thumb and index finger".... err..... could someone post a picture on how it goes? I tried looking for one, and it only shows ppl with the fish, not how to shoot it. I watched it on survivor and it looks really easy to shoot, i just gotta see how to hold it right :) hehe.

Originally posted by fuzz
Basically, you place the loop of the rubber in the gap between your thumb & pointer finger, then reach as high up the spear(towards the point) as you would like to go. The more you stretch, the more power you have.

There are a few more pointers... i.e. wrap some string on the ple near the tip where you pull the bands to. That way you'll have an easier time gripping the spear since it can be tiring on your hands & fingers. The water makes it slippery, so load it when you need it instead of swimming around with it loaded.

Here's a drawing I tried to do during my meeting ;)

Attachments

• polespear.jpg
    polespear.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 417
Thank you for the beautiful drawing! LoL. Once i get my Omer Mimetic 5mm, im getting one of those toys :)

;)

You should try to find a store where you can try the suits on. If your suit doesn't fit just right, it will defeat the purpose of having an open cell. It will still keep you warm, but not nearly as much as it should.

A pole spear can be made at home if you can find the appropriate rubber material. I use some rubber water hose. It lasts not very long. i'll have to make new ones every now and then but its of an astonishing strenght and elasticity. You can get some 10m of it for less than 10$. That'll last you a while. I couldn't use it in the water yet but it has enough power to punch through a big piece of the foam used to protect computers and stuff when shipping. It will penetrate a 35cm thick piece of it from 4m from the tip (blunt tip, no speartip attached). I use a line. Even the rubber bands for office use are good if you get the right ones and tie some of 'em together. A fiber glass shaft is light and resistant and cheap to get from DIY shops. I'll post some pictures asap.
Just look out for different rubbers you can get, the rest is easy peasy...

Joe

Yea, i've never tried on a wetsuit yet... i dont dive that deep though, so if it's a tad bit off it wont kill me. Thanks for the site rabi, cheap prices.

Should we hold our poles firmly though:D with da rubbah strechted out? rofl

rofl

this is one case where you can use the same rubber over & over ;)

:hmm

lol ahhh yes.... good old rubbers. Will they get worn out when they ship them too me? It's going to be ruff, i need maximum protection.

Ray Odor Polespear

I've had several pole spears over the past 10 years. I recently won a Ray Odor Polespear at the Spearboard Open Tournament. This is a 3-piece anodized aluminum polespear that comes with a Hawaiin Flopper style shaft and an additional threaded extension that you can mount a paralyzer tip on.

It is a very solid spear that can handle big fish. I was speaking with one of the more experienced spearfisherman at the tournament, he said he'd been using his Ray Odor Polespear for almost 20 years and it's the best polespear he's ever used. Price is tough to beat as well - $45.

Check out http://spearfishing.cc/Pole Spears.htm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT