• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pollock in English Batter - simple & delicious

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I was re-arranging the deep freeze this yesterday (looking for my speargun rubbers!) and came across a bag of pollock in need of being used. I quite like pollock but few others seem to have enthusiasm for it, so in order to increase the appeal I thought I would cave in & fry them in batter, chip shop style - seems like all Brits, even those that don't otherwise eat fish will eat battered fish. It turned out to be a great success.

I can't take credit for the SIMPLE AND EXCELLENT batter recipe. A family member found it, here is a link to it: English-Style Fried Fish Batter recipe

I just filleted the smallish pollock (keeping the heads, spines & fins for the lobster pot), leaving the skin on.

The batter recipe is inspired & for several reasons. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda (we also used self-raising flour), making the batter gassy & light (don't include milk as that would curdle)*. By including malt vinegar, you also get a real chip shop aroma as soon the fish starts cooking. The batter is light and crisp. I think we could have done with a tad more salt. I added an extra quarter cup of water but it was probably unnecessary in hindsight (but caused no problem). We don't have a deep fat fryer but so I just used a frying pan than already had just under 1cm of oil in from a recent poppadom fry, so had to turn the fish 2/3 of the time through.

I used a "vintage Tupperware" Batter Shaker (/Milk Shaker) to mix the batter. Probably would have been a useful tool with other recipes but the build up of carbon dioxide with this reactive recipe meant some care was require to allow excess gas to escape in a controlled manner.

It tasted great, and I suspect it would no matter what fish was used - which is perhaps the main benefit & problem with fish fried in batter!

Last edited:
Reactions: octopus
Sounds delicious. Have to try, I'm also going to try w/ some ground venison into balls I really need to move. Since my girls are out of the house no one here to make my Shepherd's Pie (using the venison) for Wifie-poo won't touch it.

Can't believe you have problems getting takers for vension, it's such good meat. Usually low fat, tender, organic, free range and tasty. You didn't let them watch Bambi did you?

Youngest (now 20) hunts with me using muzzleloaders. Oldest eats it and wifie-poo will eat dried venison sausage (we hunt mostly Whitetail & Axis). Also take some javalina & feral hogs. They all saw Bambi but wife just is squeemish.

Oh well...

By the way I love Buffalo (North American Bison, Elk & Moose)

Dang it, I'm hungry now.

Muzzle loaders?! They say wild meat is the best & leanest. I've seen bison/buffalo just a handful of times and it is always a real thrill. The first ones I saw were a surprise when visiting Ferme Labs, Illinois. They had a herd in a field in the middle of the particle accelerator. One gave birth while we were there, quite a surprise! Don't think I've ever seen an elk, certainly not outside of a zoo. I almost walked into a Moose in the Tetons, Wyoming, while walking in to a crag with a heavy pack. The foot path suddenly veered left and as I looked up I was face to face with a huge moose just a few feet away - fortunately it was very calm & just carried on chomping away, totally unphased. Had a few other surprise wild animal encounters in the US - you just don't get that sort of thing in the UK.

Last edited:
Worst surprise I ever had was with a Whitetail. Rattling horns in the light morning fog and blam he's right in front of me! 10 points of death vs. 1 shot .50 cal Hawken. He lost & cooked up right tastey!

Just came back from a 3 day youth shooting experience. High Schoolers come out to the Chaparral Wildlife Management Area near Cotulla. They get to shoot archery, small & large caliber handguns, trap, skeet, .22 rifles, high-power centerfire rifles and...of course the muzzleloaders. I have 2 .45 cal flintlock Kentucky rifles, 2 percussion Hawken .50's, daughters youth sized .50 perc, flintlock blunderbuss .91 cal, 3 cap-n-ball revolvers, 3 Tower .62 flinters, .45 flint pistol & .45 perc single shot. I only do traditional style weapons.

Only problem is cleaning all the buggers at the end of the shoot! About 2 hours worth of scrubbing! :blackeye :martial

Reactions: Mr. X
Just tried this batter again, following the recipe more closely. Real nice & simple too. Tried it with pollock & coley fillets - 2 previously out of favour fish, which taste fine in batter and are not (currently) in danger. (The fishermen curse if they only catch coley on the TV show Trawlermen because they don't get a good price for them - v. little demand - seems a bit silly to me, cod really isn't that special IMHO).

Served it with home made savoury rice, mainly brown rice, a spoon full of short grain rice, a spoon full each of lentils & chick peas. I added some chopped onion, fennel root & garlic 10 minutes before done. Added a little dash of Worcestershire & Soy sauces. Added a big portion of mixed frozen vegetables near the end - they don't need much cooking, just warming through. Tasted good. Pineapple & its syrup, and/or fresh chopped ginger & flat lead parsley can be good in savoury rice too - but didn't use them today.

Reactions: agbiv
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…