• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

polluted water?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mirror

Aug 15, 2010
I have been a constant watersportsman for about 30 +years locally and internationally,and can honestly say that local water (devon and cornwall) have never been cleaner after massive investment by local water companies. I can honestly say i have never knowingly been made unwell by polluted water ,and at times, years ago it was bad by todays standards,however after listening to a spokesman from surfers against sewage ,i get the impression it is life threatening just to paddle in the sea!!! Obviously i support cleaner waters,but realistically just how clean can they ever be? and i was wondering if any of you out there can definately attribute ill health to pollution and your opinions on cleanliness of local waters?

i know plenty of people over the years who were ill just after going in the sea, myself included. could be coincidence of course.

praa was 'aromatic' the other day, i'm guessing it was run-off water after the recent rains.

i agree uk waters are much cleaner than they used to be. without SAS i doubt this would be the case, and unless the pressure continues i'm sure it'll slide back.

sas do alerts and a live map of current water quality issues : Interactive Map | Surfers Against Sewage

i try to keep a few cans of coke in my van, taking a couple of gulps before and after going in the sea. i heard all the chemicals in the stuff should kill off any nasties from swallowing seawater ?
=)

I know sas have been ardent campaigners on water quality,however it is EU legislation that has enforced standards , aside from human pollution many other naturally occuring things pollute ,such as run off after heavy rain washing animal manure into rivers etc,but also in the sea itself all living creatures poo quite regularly,die and decay,washed up seaweed does not smell too sweet either ,and i would not like to try eating it yet it dissolves into the water to create a weak yet none too pleasant soup,also some algal blooms are known to be toxic,and i do not know about the complete contents of all plankton and other micro organisms . after considering all these things no matter how many billions we spend the sea could still be a health hazard ,and do not forget the greatest cause of death is the water itself (drowning)!! and a belly full of salt water is never considered healthy!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…