• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pork Vindaloo

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lister

May 9, 2005
2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
6 to 8 dried red chilies
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cardamon seeds*
1 3-inch stick of cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons whole black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
1 cup water
2 pounds pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1-inch cube fresh ginger, chopped
small whole head of garlic, peeled & separated
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
Cooked Basmati or long grain white rice

1. Grind cumin seeds, red chilies, peppercorns, cardamon seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in a coffee mill or spice mill. Put the ground spices in a small bowl. Add the vinegar, salt and brown sugar. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Put the onions in and fry, stirring frequently, until the onions turn brown and crisp. (Be careful not to over-brown or it will have a burned taste.) Remove onions with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
3. Place cooked onions into an electric blender or food processor. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of water and puree the onions. Add this puree to the ground spice mixture in the bowl. (This is the Vindaloo paste.)
4. Rinse blender or processor and add the ginger, garlic and 2 to 3 tablespoons water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
5. Preheat the oil remaining in the pot that you cooked the onions in, over medium-high heat. Cook the pork cubes a few at a time, browning lightly on all sides. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and keep in a bowl. Repeat until all the pork as been browned.
6. Now add the ginger-garlic paste into the same pot. Reduce to medium heat. Stir the paste for a few seconds. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir for another few seconds. Add the pork cubes and any juice that has accumulated in the bowl, the vindaloo paste and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until pork is tender. Stir occasionally. Serve over cooked Basmati or long grain white rice.

Serves 4 to 6. but I'd keep it for myself!

Brutal

Reactions: johnny
Hell!

I bet you'll need a lot of Listerine after that! rofl rofl

sounds like a great recipe :D

island_sands said:
I bet you'll need a lot of Listerine after that!
As long as I can have a bit of curry sause with it, Yeah Fine! :D

Last edited:
OK keep em all together :D You know how it is, few cans of double strength a Shami Kebab Diablo and you'll never find then again!
So apart from the essential daily vindaloo, THIS has to be my second all time favorite curry, to die for, not often I'll be found liking the spilt bits off my T shirt :D

1.5 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsps ground coriander
.5 tsp ground turmeric
.5 tsp cayenne
freshly ground black pepper
1.5 kg (3lb) jointed chicken pieces skinned - I use boneless, skinless boobs
6 - 7 cloves garlic, peeled
2.5 cm (1 inch) cube fresh ginger, peeled and coursely chopped
420 ml(11 fl. oz) water
6 TBS veg oil (I use half this amount and I use canola)
11g (4 oz) onions, peeled and finely chopped
175 g (6 oz) tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (I use Hunt's petite or regular diced)
4 TBS natural yoghurt (where possible I use sheeps milk or goat)
1 tsp garam masala (recipe below)
6 TBS double cream (more or less depending on taste preference)

1 hour before you are going to cook.
Sprinkle .5 tsp of the salt, 1 tsp of the cumin, .5 tsp of the ground coriander, .25 tsp of the ground turmeric, .25 tsp of the cayenne and some black pepper on the chicken pieces.
Mix well and set aside for at least 1 hour.

Put the garlic and ginger into the container of an electric blender or food processor. Add 120ml (4 fl oz) of the water and blend.

Put the oil in a wide, preferably non-stick pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot cook chicken pieces in batches and remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.

Put the chopped onion into remaining oil. Stir and Fry until the pieces turn medium-brown. Add the garlic-ginger paste. Stir and fry until water evaporates. Put in the remaining 1 tsp cumin,1 tsp coriander, .25 tsp turmeric, .25 tsp cayenne. Stir and fry for about 20 seconds. Now add chopped tomatoes (I add juice as well). Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir and cook the spice paste for 3 - 4 minutes, mashing the tomato pieces with the back of a spoon. Add the yoghurt a TBS at a time, incorporating it into the sauce each time before you add more.
Put the chicken pieces back and any accumulated juice, the remianing 200 ml (7 fl oz) water and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Cover turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Take off cover. Add garam masala and cream.

Stir and turn heat up to medium-high and cook, stirring gently every now and then, until sauce is reduced and fairly thick.
Best with rice and chapatti's and plenty of larger

Garam Masala

Make a big batch and store it like your other spices.
It's used in almost every Indian dish

1 Tbs cardamom* seeds
5 cm (2 inch) cinnamon stick
1 tsp black cumin seeds (use regular cumin seeds if need be)
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 of an average-sized nutmeg

Place all ingredients in a clean, electric coffee-grinder (or spice grinder). Turn the machine on for 30 - 40 seconds or until spices are finely ground.

*Either buy cardamom seeds already out of the husks or you will need to open up each pod and take them out.
Brutal

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT