• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Possible PhD opportunity related to apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mattbarlow

Sep 17, 2008
Dear All,
There is an interesting opportunity for those of you have a scientific background in exercise physiology or sport and exercise science. Leeds Metropolitan University are looking for suitable applicants for a GTA / PhD position. Please share with anybody that you think might be interested.

Indicative details of the study are below:

Apnea training for sports and altitude performance
Competitive Apnea involves participants holding their breath in water with disciplines that relate to maximum duration of breath hold, the horizontal distance covered whilst immersed and holding breath in a swimming pool and the maximum depth achieved whilst diving. Training for apnea has been shown to increase the performance of apnea. However apnea training has been found to have several physiological effects such as increases in haematocrit (Hct), erythropoietin (EPO), concentration, haemoglobin mass (Hb) and lung volumes. Furthermore blood acidosis and oxidative stress are shown to be reduced following three months of apnea training. These adaptations suggest that apnea training may be an effective alternative to hypobaric or normobaric hypoxia to increase aerobic and or anaerobic performance. Studies have recently observed that repeated apneas increased EPO concentration by 24% with peak values achieved 3 hours following the last apnea and return to baseline 2 hours later. These responses are similar to those following exposure to high altitude where 6 hours of altitude (at 1,780m) showed an increase of 24% in EPO; suggesting that apnea training may provide a method of acclimatisation for the conditions experienced during high altitude mountaineering.
Thus far, no study has investigated the possible application of apnea training as an alternative to hypoxic training for sports or altitude performance. It is envisaged that the study will include comparisons of apnea training with other methods of training in relevant sports. Evaluation of haematological and physiological markers in relation to the training methods and exercise performance are likely to be pertinent.

Post details and applications can be accessed through http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/jobs/
Please contact Dr Matt Barlow for further details
E-mail: Matthew.Barlow@leedsmet.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)113 8124022
Kind regards,
Matt

Interesting that someone is taking the flip side of freediver's interest in the apnea/hi altitude training connection. Good luck to them. There are lots of competitive divers that would like to see the results.

Just a question. Salary and stipend look like a pre tax value of about $40,000 US. That seems kind of low for a PhD, especially given that England is somewhat more expensive to live in than the US.. Am I missing something?

No that's about the usual amount for a UK PhD bursary, bear in mind that the stipend is tax free. It's not a bad deal when you consider that if you were doing a self funded PhD it would cost you £3900 per year. The benefit of the GTA position is that when you finish you will already have significant teaching experience and should be quite employable in Higher Education institutions.

Ahh, that is for what I call a Phd "candidate", someone working on a Phd. Did not understand, much more reasonable, That is generous by US standards, not sure how that relates to British cost of living. My son's wife is working on a Phd at Ohio State. She receives considerably less.

I hope you find a good candidate. No doubt, there are divers on these forums who would be glad to help him or her. Keep us posted on results.

Connor

Dear all, we have some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that we didn't recruit to the GTA position. But the good news is that this project is now being advertised as a PhD bursary please see https://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/research/files/research-project-20.docx

Hello Matt,

My name is Antonis and I am a final year undergraduate student under the course of Sport and Sport development at Manchester Metropolitan University with a first class grade. My area of interest is environmental physiology and more specifically is freediving. For my dissertation i researched the 'Cardiovascular responses during breath-holding with and without face immersion in warm and cold water temperatures' receiving an 83% provisional grade. I was going through your post and it felt like i wrote it as it is exactly what i want to research as through my current project i could see that apnea could be used as a new training method due to the spleen contractions suggesting that apnea can or may be an effective alternative to hypobaric or normobaric hypoxia to increase aerobic and or anaerobic performance. Having completed my dissertation i was sure i wanted to undertake a phd in this area specifically to the relationship between apnea and spleen responses, however i was not aware of any opportunities such as this in England. This is my email antoniselia13@hotmail.com if you could please provide me with more information regarding the Phd opportunity it will be amazing.

Hi Antonis, I think the best way forward would be to draft up an application. My details are included on the advertisement and I am happy to discuss your application with you. If you would like to chat or meet up to discuss then please get in touch!

Hi Antonis, I think the best way forward would be to draft up an application. My details are included on the advertisement and I am happy to discuss your application with you. If you would like to chat or meet up to discuss then please get in touch!

Hello Dr.Barlow,

I have sent you an email earlier today, I am looking forward to discussing with you in more depth the current research opportunity and arrange a meeting.

mattbarlow said:
Has anyone worked on similar topics? I'm curious about students or researchers who write their dissertation projects, achieveessays or thesis papers on apnea practice.
<>
Cited text status - shortened
<>

Hi, I've got a Master's degree in Kinesiology (Boise State University) and I wrote my final thesis on the apnea training methods (currently I'm pursuing my second degree in marine archaeology), so I could share the pdf of my publication.
Btw, an interesting research paper: Effects of apnea training on the diving response in humans (apneic time features) archived in the ResearchGate library.

Interesting that someone is taking the flip side of freediver's interest in the apnea/hi altitude training connection. Good luck to them. There are lots of competitive divers that would like to see the results.

Just a question. Salary and stipend look like a pre tax value of about $40,000 US. That seems kind of low for a PhD, especially given that England is somewhat more expensive to live in than the US.. Am I missing something?
Finances are why I didn’t take up my professors offer of a PhD after my medical science degree. No guarantee for a supplement and despite his excitement on my novel topic my wife has supported me enough these past few years.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT