• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Possible to get a decent video camera and housing for $1,000-$1500?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1shot

Mar 6, 2006
Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right forum.

I'm not a photography nuts, never been. I just want something simple that works in low light so I can capture some video of myself and my kids freediving and snorkeling.

Any recommended video camera/housing combo that can be had for under $1,500 that would be good for, say 100 feet or so of depth?

thanks

Joe

Shadow, I think he's talking about video cameras.

1shot, I think you're local to me(San Jose, CA). I have 2 minidv setups you may be interested in. One is a Canon minidv with housing & activ-eye. The other is a Sony PC100 with a Light & Motion Mako housing with monitor back. Send me a PM if you're interested.

If you rather get a cheaper but new camera/housing combo I have some ideas too

Send me a PM.

I'm looking to get some kind of underwater set up too. I have a cam, an old Song TRV16, but I can't find anywhere that does the housing for it. However, if someone has cam and housing for sale then I would be very interested. I'm a video editor/filmmaker/video artist by trade, but I'm not too bothered about it being a pro cam, just something to film with at 100ft depth at least. Grading a post-production can improve the quailty afterwards :0

I was also thinking of making one thought too...does anyone know the common materials used for underwater video housings?
I hope someone can help

Martin

http://www.triggerset.co.uk

I actually built a housing for my sony VX2000 once, well, make that twice... both were made out of a piece of PVC tubing that I glued a glass portal into one end (used a lathe to cut a groove so it was set in) and an o-ring sealed threaded cap on the other (again used a lathe to make certain the surfaces were flat). It worked, although I had to just put a tape in, press record and close it up, from that time I had one hour to shoot and no controls of the camera (don't forget to make sure the auto focus is on and fully zoomed out).
Anyway, I actually did get some pretty fun shots with it, but ended up purchasing a legitimate housing on ebay from Quest. Biggest improvement with the commercial housing is controls, and a clear back that enabled me to rig a little monitor so I could see what I was shooting. I don't use it anymore and would sell it if you're interested. I don't think the housing cost more than six hundred dollars, but a video camera for it is a little more expensive.

arriflex

Start Digging .

Amphibico:
www.amphibico.com

AquaVideo:
www.aquavideo.com

Backscatter:
www.backscatter.com

Gates Underwater Products:
www.gateshousings.com

Ikelite Underwater Systems:
www.ikelite.com

Light & Motion Industries:
www.lmindustries.com

Marine Camera:
www.marinecamera.com

Ocean Brite Systems:
www.oceanbrite.com

Oceanhaus:
www.absea.net

Quest Sports:
www.questsports.com

Sea & Sea U/W Photography:
www.seaandsea.com

Sea Optics, USA:
www.seaoptic.com

Subal, USA:
www.subalusa.com

URPRO Filters:
www.naper.com/urpro

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…