• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Possible to get a decent video camera and housing for $1,000-$1500?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1shot

Mar 6, 2006
Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right forum.

I'm not a photography nuts, never been. I just want something simple that works in low light so I can capture some video of myself and my kids freediving and snorkeling.

Any recommended video camera/housing combo that can be had for under $1,500 that would be good for, say 100 feet or so of depth?

thanks

Joe

Shadow, I think he's talking about video cameras. :)

1shot, I think you're local to me(San Jose, CA). I have 2 minidv setups you may be interested in. One is a Canon minidv with housing & activ-eye. The other is a Sony PC100 with a Light & Motion Mako housing with monitor back. Send me a PM if you're interested.

If you rather get a cheaper but new camera/housing combo I have some ideas too :)

Send me a PM.

I'm looking to get some kind of underwater set up too. I have a cam, an old Song TRV16, but I can't find anywhere that does the housing for it. However, if someone has cam and housing for sale then I would be very interested. I'm a video editor/filmmaker/video artist by trade, but I'm not too bothered about it being a pro cam, just something to film with at 100ft depth at least. Grading a post-production can improve the quailty afterwards :0

I was also thinking of making one thought too...does anyone know the common materials used for underwater video housings?
I hope someone can help :)

Martin

http://www.triggerset.co.uk

I actually built a housing for my sony VX2000 once, well, make that twice... both were made out of a piece of PVC tubing that I glued a glass portal into one end (used a lathe to cut a groove so it was set in) and an o-ring sealed threaded cap on the other (again used a lathe to make certain the surfaces were flat). It worked, although I had to just put a tape in, press record and close it up, from that time I had one hour to shoot and no controls of the camera (don't forget to make sure the auto focus is on and fully zoomed out).
Anyway, I actually did get some pretty fun shots with it, but ended up purchasing a legitimate housing on ebay from Quest. Biggest improvement with the commercial housing is controls, and a clear back that enabled me to rig a little monitor so I could see what I was shooting. I don't use it anymore and would sell it if you're interested. I don't think the housing cost more than six hundred dollars, but a video camera for it is a little more expensive.

arriflex

Start Digging ;).

Amphibico:
www.amphibico.com

AquaVideo:
www.aquavideo.com

Backscatter:
www.backscatter.com

Gates Underwater Products:
www.gateshousings.com

Ikelite Underwater Systems:
www.ikelite.com

Light & Motion Industries:
www.lmindustries.com

Marine Camera:
www.marinecamera.com

Ocean Brite Systems:
www.oceanbrite.com

Oceanhaus:
www.absea.net

Quest Sports:
www.questsports.com

Sea & Sea U/W Photography:
www.seaandsea.com

Sea Optics, USA:
www.seaoptic.com

Subal, USA:
www.subalusa.com

URPRO Filters:
www.naper.com/urpro

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT