• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Power Lung Training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freediver48

Apr 5, 2001
Hi,

I just got this note from Carolyn Morse, it seems to be written in response to some of the questions asked earlier.

I read the forum and there seems to be a good deal of misinformation about PowerLung(R) even with the web page we offer. Let's start with the original question. If you are unable to hold the mouthpiece in your mouth OR you blow the PowerLung(R) off the mouthpiece when you exhale, you have the resistance set too high. You should not lift your shoulders toward your ears when you inhale and you should not puff out your cheeks when you exhale. Both of these are signs that the resistance is set too high. You might want to try lowering it by 1/8 a turn.

The fitness regime outlined as the primary training for PowerLung(R) is in fact an endurance training. There is also a performance that suggests that you do fewer reps, 4-6, at a much higher setting. You would do this to muscle failure -- not just muscle tiredness.

In addition to the other stretches that you are doing, you can reduce the resistance on the PowerLung(R) to a much lower setting and use it as a warm-up or stretching. Again, this is described in the instructions that accompany the product. Additionally, we do have many individuals who actually do their daily workout -- at the fitness level -- about an hour before competition in swimming, rowing, etc. Then between heats, they reduce the resistance and use it as a warm up.

One thing that might need clarification is the length of the inhale and exhale cycle. It should be about 3-4 seconds for inhale, a pause, then 3-4 seconds for exhale. To obtain the maximum results, you should actually really suck in for the inhale and hear a "whoosing" sound from the PowerLung. When you exhale, you should really blow forcefully for 3-4 seconds and again hear a "whoosing" sound from PowerLung. I often tell people that the know they are doing it correctly if they sound like Darth Vader breathing. We also begun suggesting that you truly consider it like strength training and do the routine in 3 sets of 10 breaths 2 times a day. Again, that is the Fitness or endurance workout and applies to either model of the product.

This is not a product that is weight lifting like bulking up. It is in fact a method to build strength in muscles. Specifically the diaphgram, intercostal and accessory muscles. Remember, the stronger the muscle, the less of it's maximum it has to use to accomplish its task.

Finally, there have been several studies done (over 70 years worth) that describe the value of this in athletic performance. That does not include the study posted on our website www.powerlung.com or the ones that are currently in process throughout the world with Olympic level swimmers, Canadian Cycling Team, Freedivers, Rowers, fighter pilots and many other groups. We have a link on our website to a site that provides at least basic information on many other studies.

We have tried to establish our web site as a location for information to help people understand the history of the concept and how our product works. I certainly appreciate you forwarding this to me and I hope I have provided you with additional information that will assist those using it and clear up any questions for those that think it a "toy". It really works.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Morse, President
PowerLung, Inc.
www.powerlung.com

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT