• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Powerfu & Versatile Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Reuben_Borg

Feb 18, 2011
Hi guys, this is my first post here, so lets see how it goes.
I have been spearfishing for a number of years now, yet only practice a few months a year (due to weather and study commitments). My current gun is a 100cm omer HF2 with double 16mm bands. I do most of my fishing in the Mediterranean where I live, and also travel for a few weeks in a year and take my gun when possible (Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, and other good hunting locations). I am looking at the possibility of upgrading to something with a bit more range and accuracy, yet not keen on a much longer gun (traveling with it becomes even harder, and such long guns are not frequently used in the Mediterranean as far as I know). I mainly fish around the reefs and rocks, but I do want a gun with some good open water potential. I will be going on a trip to the Solomon Islands this summer and want to buy a gun with some good long range potential.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been considering long pneumatic guns. I haven't been a fan of pneumatic guns due to the aiming site issues when compared to ease of aiming with open muzzle railguns. I own and occasionally used the original Mares Cyrano 700 and don't shoot particularly confident with it, but the Mares Cyrano evo or the newer Cyrano HFT seem to have adress this issue to a certain extent. Pneumatics should have great power, track very well (they have no bands or a top shaft to get in the way), and accuracy is good from what I read, (yet loading can be a pain). Are this assumptions correct? Will a 110/120 pneumatic (which will have the same physical dimensions as a 100 rail gun) have added range and accuracy over my current gun?

I have also looked at rollerguns, yet compared to double banded railguns they seem to have little to no added range. Perhaps an inverted rollergun would work better? But not sure from where to buy one, and at what cost!

Are there any 100/110 railguns I should look at that would be a sufficient upgrade over my current gun to justify the cost? Wood railguns seem very popular, but not sure if these will satisfy my requirements. Im guessing tracking will be slower, and doubt the range will be any better! If a 100 to 110 railgun with the range and accuracy I would like exists, I would prefer it over a pneumatic!

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for the long post!

Just so you know, spearfishing and spearguns are strictly prohibited in Malaysia. You will get it confiscated and also fined if you bring it into the country and get caught. Even worse consequences if you manage to get it in and get caught actually spearing Malay waters.

Regarding the gun, if you're looking for a compromise between power/range and a not too long gun then go for a roller, a 110 roller will cover all kind of hunting in clear water except maybe for pure bluewater hunting where more power is needed in most cases.

Personally i live and hunt in Thailand, 90% of the time hunting my islands dropoffs and visibility is very unpredictable and can range anywhere from 4-5 to 10-20 meters. I use a 120 gun and feel that that it's enough power in most cases and not too hard to track and it's also doable for those time i need to hunt the rocks if i unload one of the bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boissonflake
If you're able to load it, get a 120 Cyrano. It has the range of a 130-140 double band gun with the size of a 90. Additionally, you have the power regulator that lowers the power to 30%.

There's lots of posts in the web on how to make an extended loader. I am 1.74 cm and can load a 120.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT