• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pre dive protein shake

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
Is it good to have whey protein shake 1, 2 or 3 hours before diving? To keep your stomach good and give energy while spearing....

Murat ive played around with that concept and found that granola bars with whole fruits and nuts are better adn easier on the stomach. also, like any other food, allow 1-2 hours before frolicking in the water.

ive heard some good things about creatine, but also some bad things. a snickers bar in the float goes a long ways, and some gatorade and you are setup and good to go

Whey protein generally acidifies you, and isn't very friendly on the stomach. Better to use after diving, in my opinion.

Reactions: Murat
thanks for the help.

then i will stick my older recipe, milk and baby biscuit:D

Snickers is not good for my stomach.Nuts has something to do with it:yack

oh come on girls, this is the serious topic, don't let shaca to jump in:D

I don't want to end up with throw up in the water, belive me its nasty:yack especially when you are few km away from shore and already been in water for 6-7 hours with empty stomach:head

A protein shake sounds like a good idea after a dive, but probably not before.

Lucia

A firm believer

I find administering a Swedish protein injection pre-dive often makes me a bit loggy for an hour or so, but that apres-dive it's the best way to make sure that the tubes, eustacion and otherwise are clear. :hmm

Reactions: roy_nexus_6
Hey what about during the dive??? There must be somewhere you can fit the tubes.

alright so you do this. gatorade before the dive. since you cant have any nuts (hahahahaha rofl ) then you get yourself some other form of energy source. since you are in the water for so long get yourself some energy bars. after diving, instead of a protein shake, drink some Endurox, its a recovery jigga-majigga that marathon runers drink, trust me i live with one. so you drink that and it should help you better recover those muscle fibers associated with long term power and not those short burst ones.

on a side note, i just got this book of ebay, well actually two, and they are called:
Muscle endurance book for freediving
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7108675863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

and
Maximum Strength book for freediving
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7108382970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

now bear in mind that i have no idea how good these are, but as soon as i get them, hopefully within the next 3-4 days, i will browse through them and see what is says about protein shakes and what not.

cheers :friday

i generally drink liter of coca-cola to recharge after dive:hmm

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT