• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Predathor Race Kit Trigger Issue

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Diving Gecko

shooter & shooter
Jun 24, 2008
There's a potential issue you guys have to be aware of, if you aren't already. The line release can "catch" the trigger in a slightly pulled position after a shot. If it is, then when you load the gun, the trigger sear might not fully engage the piston and it might let go off the spear extremely easily. Yes, it happened to me...
It might be a Race Kit trigger issue only. If the screw is extended on that trigger, it will worsen this issue. I don't know if it's a problem at all with the stock trigger since that trigger doesn't have the screw. BTW, my Race Kit trigger was not touched after I received it. I put it straight in the handle as is and the issue was there. The screw is extended by very little - I will measure it precisely in a few days.

NOW, the fix is easy. Always reset the line release to a normal, neutral position before loading the shaft, Then you are safe.

I don't know if it is mentioned in the manual, you know - guys and manuals...
(I think Pete and I - or possibly just Pete - actually speculated this could happen when they first released the Race Kit trigger).

Here's a video trying to explain the issue - apologies for the messed up audio, I might reshoot the video in a few days:

Yeah. But I am not sure how many actually set the safety before a loading sequence? I didn't even have the safety in when doing the pool test but will check in a few days if it could have been put in safety on mode while the trigger is still slightly pressed by the line release. If it can, then the safety is just a false one in this case. If you can't it's good as that would signal that something else is off. But we will see. I'll do some testing at home later on. Maybe Salvi shouldn't actually have offered this new trigger at all. If they got the tolerances right on the stock, non-adjustable one there might be too much room for the end use to mess things up with this one;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always set the safety to “on” before reloading as the safety does not prevent the gun relatching in pneumatic spearguns using rocking sear levers. This was a precaution against subsequent tight shooting line wrapping pulling the trigger of guns with the line release leaning hard up against the tip of the trigger’s toe.

There was a recall on this "problem" many years back (October 1979) with the older Mares guns, but only in the US. Then Mares went to the side-mounted line release on its pneumatic gun range so that it could not possibly operate the trigger, plus it more effectively bypassed any reel fitted to the gun. However I have never had that problem even with my oldest pneumatic speargun, an original model "Sten". It must have been a fluke incident, but is really a gun handling defect as you never boat a loaded pneumatic gun and you only wind the shooting line on the gun with the safety on. Once loaded you always carry the gun by the grip or the outer barrel (usually the air reservoir) with the spear pointed well away from others. Anything else is asking for trouble.

https://www.cpsc.gov/id/recalls/1980/defective-spear-guns-recalled

I just read the manual...;-). They say to set safety AND load the line onto the release before loading...;-). I guess that's to make sure the release is in the correct position.

Last edited:
So, it's more an example of "guy not reading manual and getting in trouble" but I think many belong to that tripe, so I'll leave the warning up;-)

So, it's more an example of "guy not reading manual and getting in trouble" but I think many belong to that tripe, so I'll leave the warning up;-)

Tripe or tribe; the former is rather apropos as some don‘t bother reading the handbook thinking that it contains nothing that they do not already know!

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Haha. I was in doubt when I wrote it, it looked off to me.
u3k1y9A.jpg

Here, by the way, is the intended loading order for a Predathor. I get that's it's good advice to switch the safety to 'on' and while I load the shaft before the line doing it the other way around assures you check the line release and puts it in the non-dangerous position.
cXcwy6m.jpg

Your pool allows you to bring a speargun? That's awesome. I can't even bring fins to my pool.

Your pool allows you to bring a speargun? That's awesome. I can't even bring fins to my pool.
Sadly no. But my friend found one in his city. Problem is, it's 1300km away... Suffice to say, I wont be pool testing often.

I wonder if the RACE KIT is really all that special as bar the acid green colour scheme it comes down to the piston and the fine adjustment screw on the trigger. Now the “Vintair” has that adjustment screw as standard fitment on its trigger, I just checked on the Vintair 35 cm that I recently purchased brand new for AU$130 which was a real bargain. The RACE piston has fattened up over time in the interests of its longevity, so maybe not a lot in it now compared to the standard fitment. If they can put that adjustment screw on the “Vintair” then Salvimar should fit it onto all of their pneumatic spearguns.

My local pool used to have a snorkel session on Sundays and fins were definitely allowed for that, even though most users were not snorkeling.

Luckily I didn't order the race kit (I nearly did). I have had no issues with the standard setup. I always rig it after charging it :p . Plus I don't feel like messing with my precious predator!!!:love:

I bought the race kit for spare parts, but i'm too scared to install and tune the trigger.

Having a shaft slip off the sear and penetrate my hand or wrist right after loading it (while floating in the middle of no-where ) is a scary scenario.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Luckily I didn't order the race kit (I nearly did). I have had no issues with the standard setup. I always rig it after charging it :p . Plus I don't feel like messing with my precious predator!!!:love:

I bought the race kit for spare parts, but i'm too scared to install and tune the trigger.

Having a shaft slip off the sear and penetrate my hand or wrist right after loading it (while floating in the middle of no-where ) is a scary scenario.

I think it's safe enough if you don't extend the screw too far and if you just follow the loading order as in the manual or at least reset the line release - as I do now - before loading the spear.
But bear in mind, the screw adjustment wont alter the weight of the trigger pull - only the distance. If you like the distance as it is, then no need for the swap. Or if you like the green color, just overlay the two triggers on each other and set the green trigger's screw to the same height as the fixed black metal insert.

Last edited:
I wonder if the RACE KIT is really all that special as bar the acid green colour scheme it comes down to the piston and the fine adjustment screw on the trigger. Now the “Vintair” has that adjustment screw as standard fitment on its trigger, I just checked on the Vintair 35 cm that I recently purchased brand new for AU$130 which was a real bargain. The RACE piston has fattened up over time in the interests of its longevity, so maybe not a lot in it now compared to the standard fitment. If they can put that adjustment screw on the “Vintair” then Salvimar should fit it onto all of their pneumatic spearguns.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I don't feel it's that racy. That said, if that cup seal really has a lot more friction than an o-ring there might be a benefit there.
As for the screw, I speculate (or maybe you mentioned it before) that they were afraid that if you extended it too much it might not really hold the new line release or if you pulled it back too much the release might not let go before the shot?
I'll get my handle back in a few days then I'I'll see if there's anything to that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT