• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Premie freediver from Southern California

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jimqpublic

Love snorkeling in warm water.
May 4, 2006
Premie from Southern California.

By premie I mean I'm not even a newbie. I've never been too much into water sports even though I've lived in Long Beach, California over half my life. I suppose the fact that my folks never went to the beach and then we moved to the desert for my teenage years it just didn't happen. I've had a sailboat and a canoe, and just last weekend bought a sit-on-top kayak.

Personal stats: 41 years old this Sunday, married, two kids- 5 & 3. Good life insurance.

Last month while camping along Bahia Concepcion in Baja California I borrowed a mask, snorkel, and fins. Even without a wetsuit you couldn't keep me out of the water. That was (almost) enough to convince me to quit my job and run away to a tropical reef. I want to get into more than just floating on the surface. I started looking for classes and trips but although it seems that SCUBA classes and combined class/trips are a dime a dozen there's almost nothing out there for freediving.

In the past I've done a lot of motorcycling and bicycling- then chosen to keep with bicycles; I've played around with powerboats before deciding to keep to paddle & sail; So for me I am much more interested in freediving than SCUBA.

For now I just want to start exploring the undersea
environment. Eventually though I definitely see myself putting some nice fillets on the grill!

So how to get started? My wife and kids are out of town from May 21 to June 9 so I was looking for an outfitter in Baja so I could combine safe instruction with a nice trip, but found nothing. I did find that Performance Freediving has a 2 day Basic class in Malibu during my time window. The price seems a big bite but it looks like I'm lucky to find a local class.

I guess my question is, if I take the class, will I then be at a point that I can find local dive buddies who are willing to help me along from there? With a job and two little kids my schedule (and finances!) are stretched pretty thin.

Thanks,
Jim

I started kind of the same way, only about 15 years older! I even took the PFD beginner course before I ever went into the ocean. If I were to start now, I'd contact Riffe spearguns and ask for Julie. She teaches local spearfishing classes that culminate with a (I believe) beach dive in Orange County. About five of the faculty at my elementary school are seriously interested in a class so it looks like there'll be one near the middle to end of June. Nothing is scheduled, yet, so I'd call quick and get on the waiting list. Once you've gotten that far, try www.gonetobaja.com and contact Dale Pearson. His weekends of Spearfishing 101 aren't cheap, but they're all inclusive and he takes good care of beginners.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT