• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

preparing Cat Shark ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lenny

Arrrg...Woof!
Apr 26, 2007
We have millions of these harmless catsharks, we call the pyjama sharks. They are usually any thing from 40cm - 1m. I used to just catch them with my hands for the fun of it and then let them go. But I've always wondered whether one can eat them, and what do they taste like, how would you prepare and cook them? It's totally legal to catch them in South Africa. It's not like theres any conservation concern, there are millions of em. I've just never really met anyone interested i them. Anyone eaten one?

Pyjama shark (Poroderma africanum)

Well over here in the upper Mediterranean we have a small shark (max 1meter, but normally shorter) that we call catshark too ("gattuccio" in italian, means "small cat"), but it's a different species (Scyliorhinus canicula). This one is good to eat, we make grilled steaks, or use it as an ingredient to make a soup with clams, octopus, prawns and other mixed fish longtime stewed in tomato sauce. I guess your african one is not much different...

***EDIT: almost funny. After posting I did some search and found out that our "catshark/gattuccio" is called dogfish in english...So cat or dog? Bah.
Same thing happens with the Sunfish, that we italians call "moonfish" in our language (pesce luna: moon fish). It's easy to get twisted in translations...

Last edited:
Normally I am opposed to the harvest, even by sport divers/anglers, of sharks because their reproduction rate is so low. However, on the Cal Coast, we have another one in somewhat the same situation as the cat shark or the dogfish. It's the leopard shark. They are delicious, making about the best possible 'fish and chips' possible. Sooooo . . . my take on it would be that if you don't kill one under three feet (1m) long, which is the minimum size for a leopard shark to have spawned once, and eat what you kill you should stay within the boundries of good conservation.

Meaning what? Check with your fisheries people and find out what size the cat shark has to be for sexual maturity. That's your minimum size.

Cooking methods? I've heard that using a sharpened ball inflator and compressed air is the easiest way to skin a shark. Do that as fast as possible after catching and gut immediately. This will prevent any "off" flavors that sharks are prone to. After that, since they have no bones, just chunk 'em up, dip in batter, deep fry and serve with a half lime, oven fried potatoes, a big green salad and a good Riesling. Bon apetite! or some other approximation of the proper spelling.

Dogfish I love um, bread crumb them up and flash fry.
Spot on with a crunchy salad.
Sarge you got it smack on even down to the Riesling.:)

just remembet to skin gut and dunk them immediately and you will be fine ;)

Wow, your making me hungry! yum, yum, I can't wait for a spare moment to run down to the beach and go get one. But are you serious about the ball inflater! Hehe, do think a bicycle pump would work?

Sarge you don't perhaps have a nice recipe for a batter. All the ones I have tried are kinda sucky, they don't come anywhere near the nice batter from the fish'nchip shops.

I've never skinned a shark but I've heard that it ain't easy. The idea of using compressed air, maybe even from a bicycle pump, came from a television show on commercial shark fishing a loooonnnnnngggg time ago but it made sense to me. I do know that skinning a deer is like peeling a banana but skinning a pig is like peeling a watermelon and suspect that something similar is going on in the difference between boney and cartelidgenous fishes.

As to the batter, go looking for a good beer base but the real secret is keeping your cooking oil hot enough. The commercial fish'n'chip places use really big pots that hold their temperatures well. With home deep-fat fryers, they cool down quickly so you need to use a deep-fat thermometer and let the oil get back up to proper temperature between batches of fish. That's how you get a nice, crisp crust instead of a soggy mess.

Best way that I’ve found is to use a pair of pliers.
Make a small cut in the skin at the tail end attach the pliers and give it a good firm pull.
Hope this helps and enjoy you’re dogfish.:)

Hey podge, i'm not quite sure what you mean. Attach the pliers to the skin or to the flesh? Do you pull the fish through that hole?

What's a good oil temp? Cos usually have the opposite problem. The batter cooks brown and the fish is still raw on the inside. Does anyone perhaps have a tried and tested recipe? eg.1 can of beer, 1 cup flour etc. something like that.

Thanks a million for your input. This is gonna be the greatest fish'n chips ever!

Cut the skin by the tail, which will give you a flap of skin for the pliers to grip onto.
Hold the fish buy the tail and pull with the pliers and the skin will come away from the flesh.
Its not easy so take your time while doing it.
Have fun
Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT