• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

prescription mask or insert lenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
I am at that point where I need prescription glasses for distance, not just for reading. What would be a better option to correct vision for spearfishing? Who should I buy it from? Please give me some guidance. Those stick-on insert lenses any good, or should I go with prescription mask? Ok and another question. Will prescription lens have same power in the air and underwater? Or should it be different?

Reactions: Mr. X
Good question. I don't think the little half-moon stick-on lenses I've seen would work very well for you, they look like the close-up area on reading glasses and bifocals.

I bought a mask with half-moon areas (possibly prescription lenses) like that in a local charity shop, although I've never used it, as I started to need reading glasses and it worked for me and I was concerned that I might need them soon. But I think it is really to allow a scuba diver to read their gauged/watch. I bought a bigger watch that I can read without glasses instead [emoji3]

Sounds like you might need prescription lenses in your dive mask. :( Might even want bifocals if you can't read with your regular glasses. I seem to recall seeing that you can get prescription lenses for the Omer Alien. Perhaps you can for many masks (I bet you can for Cressi masks).

I once replaced a lens that had popped out of my Omer Alien mask - difficult, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, it involved using a vice very carefully.

Btw have you experienced problems while spearing? Seems like visibility in UK waters is often only 3'-20'. I haven't found the need for prescription lenses in my mask yet and I now wear varifocals ( fancy trifocals) much of the time, although my distant sight is still pretty good.

spearing - kind of. Here in BC visibility is also not very good, especially in the summer. So I really don't need to look far. So, I am ok most of the time. But I have difficulty seeing certain fish, like camouflaged sculpin for example, or flat fishes like turbot or flounder. They are hard to see with good set of eyes, and I have a hell of a time spotting them. It is not a gauge reading distance, but somewhere in between. Things get worse closer to sunset with lighting condition change.

Flat fish are notoriously hard to spot for anyone - turbot are a prime example, their camo is photo-like! - but having poor eye-sight doesn't help. I managed to see a couple of plaice, in shallow water over sand a couple of years ago :) unfortunately they saw me first :(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT