• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Preventing Bruising on the Top of Foot from snorkeling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AreYouAShoggoth

Sep 12, 2022
I love to snorkel, and when I go on a snorkeling trip my goal is to be in the water as close to 24/7 as possible. Last year I was in Roatan, doing 4 boat snorkels plus shore snorkeling, and around about the fifth day or latter part of the fourth I noticed some tenderness developing on the tops of my feet. I soldiered on, but by the 6th day I really couldn't tolerate wearing the fins anymore. This is the first time I've had this experience, and I'd like to never repeat it, so I am open to suggestions.

I wear an open heel fin with a bootie. My old booties are a bit thicker (maybe 5 ml), but for this trip I got slightly slimmer booties (maybe 2 ml). I was in the water quite a bit, at least 5 hours every day and probably more, and I did some pretty powerful swimming. Those are the only differences I can think of between this trip and previous ones.

Would a full foot fin reduce the likelihood of this recurring? Would going back to the old, thicker booties help?

thanks.

I love to snorkel, and when I go on a snorkeling trip my goal is to be in the water as close to 24/7 as possible. Last year I was in Roatan, doing 4 boat snorkels plus shore snorkeling, and around about the fifth day or latter part of the fourth I noticed some tenderness developing on the tops of my feet. I soldiered on, but by the 6th day I really couldn't tolerate wearing the fins anymore. This is the first time I've had this experience, and I'd like to never repeat it, so I am open to suggestions.

I wear an open heel fin with a bootie. My old booties are a bit thicker (maybe 5 ml), but for this trip I got slightly slimmer booties (maybe 2 ml). I was in the water quite a bit, at least 5 hours every day and probably more, and I did some pretty powerful swimming. Those are the only differences I can think of between this trip and previous ones.

Would a full foot fin reduce the likelihood of this recurring? Would going back to the old, thicker booties help?

thanks.
I used to get spots on top of my feet where it would become very sore after a dive, and sometimes those areas would be swollen. I wore thin neoprene booties, but ended up sewing on thicker neoprene patches in the areas that were sore. That solved it for me.

If you can run thicker booties, then I'd say that would help, but it may also cause tightness around the foot and an increase in chance of other issues, like foot cramping.

The foot pocket you're using just doesn't fit your feet that well. Another foot pocket/fins might help, or not. Changing foot pockets for me helped and no longer need extra pads.

One thing I did with my current foot pockets is heat them up (with a heat gun) and slowly mold and push those high pressure areas with my feet inside to give it more space. This helped tremendously, however I'd be cautious in doing this as some materials don't heat and deform the way you want. Try a small area first.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks! That was some helpful feedback.

On my next trip, I will switch back to the thicker booties, and I might try heating up the foot pocket with a heat gun as well. That's never been a problem for me on previous trips, but it is a little stiff and lumpy.

I have a suspicion that, on my last trip, several factors played into my problem.

Good suggestions above. I wear full (usually Beuchat) foot pockets and have not had the problem you describe but I rarely get the chance to dive 5 days in a row.

Maybe your body needs rest day?

Good suggestions above. I wear full (usually Beuchat) foot pockets and have not had the problem you describe but I rarely get the chance to dive 5 days in a row.

Maybe your body needs rest day?
My fear is that that is the real problem!

Would it be worth taking a second set of softer fins with you? Maybe break it up so a few hours of snorkeling is done with a softer full foot fin (and neoprene socks). I find they don't apply so much pressure to the top of my foot as open heel.
Ann

Try putting some type of surgical tape or bandage tape over the sore spot to prevent the direct friction from your sock. Then put the sock over that. I do this and it works well for chafing in my snow ski boots.

Would it be worth taking a second set of softer fins with you? Maybe break it up so a few hours of snorkeling is done with a softer full foot fin (and neoprene socks). I find they don't apply so much pressure to the top of my foot as open heel.
Ann
That's a good suggestion. I don't have full foot fins, just open heel. Maybe I should get a pair.

Reactions: annc
That's a good suggestion. I don't have full foot fins, just open heel. Maybe I should get a pair.
Update since you posted this thread. I've always used open heel but recently have been changing up my fins. I wanted to stay down longer so bought freediving fins but they are a bit too cumbersome in tight space so I bought a pair of travel dive fins (Aqualung Storm Fins) hoping they'd have more thrust than my snorkel fins, they didn't, maybe even a little less, but OMG they are so much more comfortable than my other open heel fins, I don't need booties with them, it's so good. I wouldn't use them in current but perfect for slack tide, drifting or for when I'm in cruise mode. They aren't what I was aiming for, but that little bit of comfort is nice especially as I'm getting up there in age and am on our little boat for a few days at a time banging around in short chop. If you're a young spunk your priorities might be different but I'm just throwing it out there too as another possible option.

Hope you find your perfect fin :)
GOPR1245 compress.jpg

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT