• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Problem with making bands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Freshwaterspearo

Aug 6, 2019
So I decided to make bands for my gun rather than buy to save a bit of money. I have a mares bandit 75cm gun, and I did the measurements on the stock band and it is way to long. So I cut 16mm bulk rubber to an average length for that length gun. The problem I'm having though is the bridle inserts for the dyneema wishbone came out when I tried loading the gun. I tied a constrictor knot on each side with some extra 1.9mm dyneema that I made the wishbone with. These were the inserts I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00701REB0/?tag=deeperbcom-20 I'm just wondering if these are not that good of inserts or if there's something I may have missed in the process. Any help is appreciated.

From the looks of them I don't see why the inserts wouldn't work, but it does say that they are for 1/2" pole spear rubber. Large ID band runbber has a 1/8" hole, and small ID rubber has a 1/16" hole. But on the other hand they should be too big rather than too small, and if you can get them into the hole, then they should stay as long as the constrictor knot is tight. Maybe you aren't pulling hard enough? Or maybe that line is not good for the purpose. I used waxed twine that is much thinner.
If you do need inserts, here are some nice stainless inserts for large ID rubber.

And here are the ones I use for small ID.

They're expensive, but they should last forever.

Maybe I'll try getting some thinner line, and maybe a dab of glue wouldn't hurt. I definitely check those inserts out for future bands. Thanks for the reply.

2.2 mm cord for a constrictor knot would be extremely thick. That is more like for wishbones. I bet that is the problem. Look on the Mako site for the thinner stuff that they use.

I've never used it, but its looks close to the stuff I use. I alway put a drop of super glue on the constrictor knot.

Just ordered some 1mm constrictor cord. The stuff that's made of woven kevlar. Will give it another shot when that comes in. Thanks for the reply.

Good luck. When you pull the thin stuff really tight it will looks like its going to cut the band but it won't. Just keep pulling as if you wanted to break it.

Got the constrictor cord in and got the wishbone on the band. Pulled it back by the wishbone and the bridles stayed in the band, so the change in cordage there helped. My problem now is figuring out the proper length. I thought I had it figured out doing the proper math but the band is way to short and very difficult to pull back to the first shark fin. Its 16mm bulk rubber with 1/8 id. My gun is a mares bandit 75. Doing the math with elongation being 250% put the length at 19.8in (50.29cm)
The equation I used is

L= band length
D=distance between band eye and closest fin or notch
Wbl=wish bone length
E= Elongation

L=((2D-WBL)/E)+1

Did I do the math wrong or is that equation off? I've looked on many different forums and sites for equations and this was the best that I could find that made sense to me right now as a beginner. Any help is appreciated.

This is a chart from our website, but it is for 14.5 mm bands which are easier to pull and you MIGHT want to stretch a heavier band a little less. I ddin't check you math/formula, but this might serve as a somewhat independent reality check on your bands..

Speargun Band Length Chart for 14.5MM Diameter Bands

Speargun
Model
Length
50cm13.66"
60cm16.33"
70cm19.00"
80cm21.66"
90cm24.33"
100cm26.66"
110cm29.66"
120cm32.33"
130cm35.00"
140cm37.66"

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT