• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Problems with seasickness??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deep thinker

Let the good times roll
Jan 19, 2006
As some of you mite know, I have suffered from a severe case of seasickness ever since Ive started diving more regularly and with proper gear... This was so severe that when out diving for a day Id do one dive off the boat and that was about it, id go up and down 3 or four times and be done for the day. That was until recently, I have done quite a few shore dives in the last few weeks or so and the effects are much less. After a member here contacted me regarding a old thread I started on the subject and via PM we have norrowed it down and almost solved both our cases...
I know there are a few other members here that suffers similar problems so I have decided after this weekends dive wich was in not so good conditions and I came out fine to share what I and the above mentioned member has done to eliminate this dive ruining occurance.

Firstly, make sure you are properly hydrated. I drink at least 1.5l of water a day and 2l or so the day before the dive. Also take a water bottle with you while in the water tied off on your float or somewhere handy, in this way when your on the surface you can have water close by to rinse your mouth of saltwater and keep dryness out of your throat.

Secondly, maintain at least half a decent level of fitness, swimming or running 2 or 3 times a week should do it. You dont have to be super fit, just comfortably so, at least to the extent where your not huffing and puffing by the time your in the suit rofl

Third and also a big factor according to me is the fit and heat level of your suit. I dive in a 5mm opencell wetsuit with long john style pants and incorporated hoody ( your basic spearo suit ). I first noticed the heat and suit thing on a dive in relatively warm waters, where I spent the whole day 6 hours diving in my longjohns and a second skin ( lycra vest ), going down to at least 15m quite often and never once during that dive did I feel seasick except toward the end and only slightly so. So the following factors are to be taken into account in your suit.
1 - It should not make you uncomfortably warm
2 - You should have enough space to move comfortably.
3 - Areas of attention should be, you neck area and your chest and stomack area, you must not feel constricted in these areas at all.
I have gone so far as to modify my suit, not only to make it cooler but also allow for more space and movement in the suit. I cut off my longjohns so that they are now waist high pants, this makes breathing easier and removes a extra 5mm over your chest and stomack area where you would normally have had 10mm of neoprene. I also took a knife and cut slits rite around the neck piece of the suit, not only to allow more space around my neck but also to allow some water to come into the suit and act as a cooling agent ( I get hot quickly ). Apart from that I also punched a hole over each ear, this to allow water to enter the hoody and so allow the inner ear and head not to overheat, which could cause you to feel slightly off balance especially if the face is in much colder environs than the rest of your head and body. Now your thinking whats the point of the opencell then? But not so much water actually enters the suit, it does come in when you want it though, by simply shaking your shoulders a bit water comes through the suit cooling you off nicely.

Fourth thing is to limit alcohol consumption and fatty foods a day or two before the dive, a beer or two is fine but dont go on a big night out with your mates the night before a dive and expect to feel tip top if you have this problem, cause you wont. On the morning of the dive have a energade or something like that, you can eat properly afterwards.

As a extra precaution I chew on a piece of strong mint gum while diving, stick it agains your gums and chew while on the survace, this just helps to keep your mind occupied and the flavour removes the taste of salt water and also calms your stomack.

Lastly, and this you should perhaps only try in severe cases like mine or adjust it slightly, also take note I dont get drowsy from over the counter medication even the strong ones that warns itll make you drowsy, so if you do perhaps rethink this part. I start drinking sinus tablets about 3 days before the dive, one a day. This just makes sure your sinuses are clear and alot of these also dry out your ear canal should there have been any mucous residue in the connection tubes between all these bits . I also take a motion sickness tablet like stugeron or something to that like once a day for three days before the dive, two tablets the night before and two on the day and Im sorted, just dont tell me then we wont be able to go diving I need to clear my system of all the meds rofl.

A few other things that plays a role here is bad visibility and choppy water but Ive tried the above tips in most conditions over the last few weeks and its been all good.

I hope some of you can use this to your own advantage aswell, I know some of it has worked for my above mentioned freind here on DB, you know who you are. Cause there is nothing that can f#%$& up a days diving like feeling as if you gonna hurl the whole time

Reactions: sciencemike
Well my situation.

I NEVER get sick on a boat, or plane or car. But when i freedive i was getting sick as a dog. I vomited last time after being in the water for 30 minutes. Also when i go scuba diving i get sick sometimes as well. Well thats before i tried DEEP THINKER's advice. What i do...

Take Sudafed (phenylephrine) 3 days before. 2 days before and 1 day before and of course the day of. It really helps with the clearing of the ears, and sinuses. I was finding that i wouldnt even need to clear when diving less than 20 feet. It was amazing.

Take 2 Motion Sickness pills 1 hour before diving.(Dimenhydrinate) This stuff really works wonders. What is funny is that about 5 hours into my last day of diving, i got woozie and sick. Only then did I realize that the reason i wasn't sick was that this stuff was really working, i hadnt even realized that the pill should be wearing off, and i was in the water for 5 hours. I took one more and i was good for the rest of the day.

As a side note my dive buddy always has bloody snot at the end of the day. He took one Sudafed, and whamo... No blood. Its so amazing .

(Also a Dr. told me to do somersaults, and cartwheels and jump on a trampoline whenever possible. These are supposed to build up your equilibrum tolerances on dry land)

We owe you so much DEEP ThINKER. Thank you.

Mike

No problem man, it helped when there was actually someone with the same problem to work it out systematically...

Cheers for that. I get seasick while bodyboarding/surfing, which really gets on my nerves. It's the choppy conditions that do it to me and limits my sessions down to less than 1 hour! It hasn't been that much of a problem when spearfishing, although I have only done it a couple of times, and both were not in choppy water.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…