• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Puget Sound Spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ElVikingo

Oct 12, 2017
Hello folks. I am currently living down in South America, saving money to buy a sailboat. Upon this boat I shall live. We will be staying in the South Sound and want to get to know some folks who have our interests and are familiar with the area. We spearfish, fish, trap crabs, hunt, hike and camp. That's about it. Reach out if you wanna talk shop and help me get ready for my next big adventure in the Pacific Northwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived near Seattle for several years, so Puget Sound sounds a bit like home to me. However, I hadn't started spearfishing when I lived there and wasn't angling at the time. I did see anglers catching lots of steel head during a run near Deception Pass and salmon swimming up the local river, less than mile from our home, which was a pleasant surprise. Great area for hiking, climbing (rock/ice/mountain) & kayaking too.

I've only speared in nice warm tropical weather. The Puget Sound is a bit chillier. I'm thinking 7mm suit. Fishing in the kelp looks fun though. Something new. Gotta catch the salmon with a pole, everything else can be speared. Good times.

You will definitely need cold water gear to survive the sound, especially in winter. I've got a 7mm that I use year round.

You will definitely need cold water gear to survive the sound, especially in winter. I've got a 7mm that I use year round.

Only 6 weeks until I am finally there. Everything is ready, just need the 7mm suit. Going to be living on a sailboat in the south sound. Any good spots around there for spearfishing?

Check the local restrictions as the local department of wildlife has some pretty strict regulations on fishing in the Sound. I've never tried spearfishing so I don't know all the details, I'd recommend check the department's website for the specifics: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/

Also, it looks like they've already cancelled the Dungeness crab season for all of South Puget Sound (everything south of Vashon Island): http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article210911899.html

There are also toxins in the local shellfish to watch out for. I've noticed signs go up several times since I moved here warning about toxic shellfish. Again, I've only been out to watch the fish, not eat them so I don't know all the details.

Finally regarding a wetsuit. It comes down to personal temperature tolerance. I personally wore a 3mm (open-cell freediving) suit and was fine last summer (according to my D4i it was low/mid 60s on the surface in July/August), but I have thicker pieces that I wear in winter. However, I wear 5mm socks and gloves year round. In my experience my toes and fingers are the only parts that get noticeably cold most of the time.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT