• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pull up your dive line weight

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

J Campbell

Sep 17, 2001
Me and my dive buddies went to Dutch Springs last week and set up a dive line with a 40 lb weight on a hundred foot line. The line was attached to an inflatable float at the top. We had a great time. Except when it came time to leave we found that pulling up the weight was extremely taxing/exhausting. I could not have done it myself, and we only got the weight up because my two buddies were much more robust than me. We all three were wiped out by the time the weight was lifted and secured to the float. Most of the problem was that the weight was pulling us under more than us pulling the weight up. So my question is for those that have used dive lines - how the hell do you get that thing back up?

Reactions: Mr. X
Is there a reason why you used that much weight? Still, if the float is robust enough you can just climb into it/hold it under your chest and pull the line up without having to kick frantically all the time...

with my coach we always use 13kg (28lbs) and I think this is already heavy. One of us lays down on a training buoy with a snorkel and pulls the weight up. works ok. This Sunday I dove with another Buddy, he's a beast. Almost 14-15kg on the rope, then he said, I have to lay on the buoy with a snorkel, he dives down to 10m (with a monofin) grabs the rope and emerges, that he has done 4x and went extremely well. He wanted to do this as training, I am too lazy for that shit :bored: and I think 8kg is enough if you have a good FIM technique. For CTW is also enough.

Is there a reason why you used that much weight? Still, if the float is robust enough you can just climb into it/hold it under your chest and pull the line up without having to kick frantically all the time...
Yeah, I think 40 lbs is probably too much! But I wanted a stable line that doesn't "bounce" when I pull/dive down on it. Next time I will try less weight.

Yeah, I think 40 lbs is probably too much! But I wanted a stable line that doesn't "bounce" when I pull/dive down on it. Next time I will try less weight.

Normally I use 22lbs (10kg).

But, I have co-pulled ~88lbs (40kg). My buddy and I (we both blame each other) forgot to remove a clip from a VWT sand-bag and it stayed full at 50m. We took turns pulling.

The point is, the easiest way for me is to put my heel on the carabiner and pull the line through (same as the molchanovs/octopus pulley systems). Its easy to take breaks and trade 'pullers' by simply passing off the line as well.

Nathan, thanks for pointing to the octopus pulley. I am going to get this and try it next time I dive.

link to octopus website

link to video of octopus pulley in action

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Nathan Vinski
I've already used it at two different boje's. It's great at the start. At the end of the session if you pull up the weight, I think it's harder and heavier than if you lay on the boje. Maybe I have the wrong technique :unsure:

I've already used it at two different boje's. It's great at the start. At the end of the session if you pull up the weight, I think it's harder and heavier than if you lay on the boje. Maybe I have the wrong technique :unsure:
I think wrong technique..

I'm using a pulling system, it is easier and safer.
If your sinker is too light consider to put more weight on your belt.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT