• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pump

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yeah, I was thinking of a tricked out homemade pump myself. I think I already have a 6mm titanium rod but still looking for a proper tube;-)

Well, it's tricky. The issue is two-fold. First of all, you need very specific threading and geometry so it mates perfectly with the valve and this is not something you can get off the shelf with e.g gas or pneumatic fittings. Second off all, you need as little dead space in the pump "head" as possible. Otherwise, too much of the air will just compress at the end of a pump stroke and stay in the pump instead of going into the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mares gun pump has a 10mm inside diameter. To make it screw-able into the back of the gun the outside diameter has to be 14mm because the gun thread M14x1. So one would need a tube with 1omm ID and 14 MM OD. When I was making my pump I could not get a metric tube, so I used an imperial one with a 3/8" ID and thicker that 14mm OD. A die M14x1 costs $90 in the USA alone so I bought a sh*tty one from China for $5. It is only good for aluminum. But made a real piston with two o-rings and a stainless-steel pusher. The original pump has a funny piston - oil wiper style. My pump will last forever - all you need is to lubricate with a silicone lube and change o-rings.
I am not sure what a 6mm titanium rod would give you

Hmmm

For the pump nicco posted?
Couldn't see the link before but it works now.
That pump is used to fill up PCP and paintball guns. It can probably get close to 200 bar or more, so in that regard it is more than fine. I am not 100% how they work but I think they have three differently sized pistons inside. The bigger one does most of the work at lower pressures and then the smaller ones take over later. So, supposedly you should get a high pressure pump that wont take forever to move a decent volume of air.
I think you could get one of those and find some of the shelf adapters to fit the Salvimar fitting instead of the Foster quick coupling the PCP pumps and guns tend to use. I would hazard a guess that the male ends of the high pressure hose on that pump is a 1/8. So, you would need a female 1/8 to male 1/4 adapter to attach the Salvi fiiting to that hose. That should be doable.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT