• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about Low Volume (free-diver or spearfishing) masks and SCUBA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ChangeAgent

Nov 24, 2023
Background. Finding a fitting mask is an absolute challenge for me. Let me explain. I broke my nose (and other parts of my skull) in a very serious car accident as a child (I was run over at high speed). They fixed a lot, but it is not perfect.

I also have a very high nose bridge. If you look at me from the side, you will see that the line from my forehead to the nose is more or less a straight line. I do not have what most folk have, a dent in the bridge between nose and forehead.

So, all masks push on the nose bridge and as such are not suitable. In the olden days masks where bigger as they are now, and I could always find one or two that fitted.

My old mask starts to give up (after 15 years) on me and is no longer being made. So, I was in a shop recently and they suggested I use a free diver mask. I tried one (Scubapro), but the manufacturer has on its website a note that it is not fit for SCUBA. However, it fitted and leaves millimetres of space on my nose, the bridge and the forehead. So, hope rises that I can find something.

Next shop had a Mares – Star. This fitted too. But I cannot find any information as to SCUBA diving with it and the shop did not know either. Does anybody out there know?

I see also that Mares makes other ones, like the Mares – Star LiquidSkin or the Mares – X-stream. I have not tried them on, but do you know that are ft for SCUBA? Or any other models/brands you know would work for SCUBA?

Thank you in advance for thinking with me, I look forward to your thoughts/advice/experience.

I'm not aware of any particular requirements for a scuba diving mask. If a mask fits, it should work for scuba as well as for free diving. The only times I use scuba any more are when an anchor or fish is hung up too deep for safe free diving, but I wear the same mask that I wear for free diving.

Reactions: Mr. X and calevans
Back in the old days, basic items of underwater swimming equipment were designed for multiple subaquatic purposes, whether snorkelling, freediving, spearfishing or scuba diving. In the interests of their "bottom line", certain modern manufacturers may have begun claiming that each of these pursuits requires a different set of basic gear without producing overwhelming evidence for such additional expenditure.

If nose pockets represent a barrier to you as a diving mask purchaser, there are alternative solutions to explore such as a traditional oval mask featuring a compensator with finger wells on the outside and flexible bosses on the inside, enabling the nostrils to be pinched for ear-clearing purposes, e.g. the Sommap Visiomer below:
so-dive-visiomer-diving-mask.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X and calevans
Back in the old days, basic items of underwater swimming equipment were designed for multiple subaquatic purposes, whether snorkelling, freediving, spearfishing or scuba diving. In the interests of their "bottom line", certain modern manufacturers may have begun claiming that each of these pursuits requires a different set of basic gear without producing overwhelming evidence for such additional expenditure.

If nose pockets represent a barrier to you as a diving mask purchaser, there are alternative solutions to explore such as a traditional oval mask featuring a compensator with finger wells on the outside and flexible bosses on the inside, enabling the nostrils to be pinched for ear-clearing purposes, e.g. the Sommap Visiomer below:
so-dive-visiomer-diving-mask.jpg
Thanks i am also exploring that one.

I'm not aware of any particular requirements for a scuba diving mask. If a mask fits, it should work for scuba as well as for free diving. The only times I use scuba any more are when an anchor or fish is hung up too deep for safe free diving, but I wear the same mask that I wear for free diving.
Thanks. some manufacturers state that the free dive masks are not fit for SCUBA. What mask are you using?

Thanks. some manufacturers state that the free dive masks are not fit for SCUBA. What mask are you using?
The one in my dive bag at home is a Beauchat Strato. I’ve had it a very long time so I don’t know if that model is made any more. I have a newer one in my boat but I forget what it is. When one leaks I switch to the other one. I’m almost 85 and my problem is that no mask can fit into the wrinkles in my face.:)

Reactions: Mr. X
The one in my dive bag at home is a Beauchat Strato. I’ve had it a very long time so I don’t know if that model is made any more. I have a newer one in my boat but I forget what it is. When one leaks I switch to the other one. I’m almost 85 and my problem is that no mask can fit into the wrinkles in my face.:)
Thanks and it is still being made.

If you are looking for a mask that has a high nose bridge like I have, about as high as it gets, I would highly recommend the Seac Raptor and the Omer Wolf. These two masks also excel for people with narrow faces. They will accommodate a rather tall nose as well (wont press on the bottom of your nose). The old trusty Techni-sub/Aqualung micro mask is a good one too. If you need a wider face mask that works with a high nose bridge the Salvimar Noah is a great option too. The new Cressi Atom fits a wider face and has generous nose room too but it is a flexible frame with plastic lenses which can get weird to look through if you have a narrow face. The Mares viper has a high nose bridge and is very comfortable but the bottom of the nose sits a little higher for my taste and generally had more issues with its small lenses and fogging.

If you are looking for a scuba type mask I know the Seasoft Visionmaster will work great with a high nose bride and is overall a very comfortable mask and will likely be more forgiving for different face widths.

If you are looking for a mask that has a high nose bridge like I have, about as high as it gets, I would highly recommend the Seac Raptor and the Omer Wolf. These two masks also excel for people with narrow faces. They will accommodate a rather tall nose as well (wont press on the bottom of your nose). The old trusty Techni-sub/Aqualung micro mask is a good one too. If you need a wider face mask that works with a high nose bridge the Salvimar Noah is a great option too. The new Cressi Atom fits a wider face and has generous nose room too but it is a flexible frame with plastic lenses which can get weird to look through if you have a narrow face. The Mares viper has a high nose bridge and is very comfortable but the bottom of the nose sits a little higher for my taste and generally had more issues with its small lenses and fogging.
I just see your post. Thanks. I need to look in the Internet to look at those when I am back on my desk, but thanks all the same. Do you use these yourself?

I have all of these masks, took a lot of time and money finding the right one, plus I just like trying all the latest cool masks.

7Bdiver's post reminded me- the other mask I have is the Aqualung Micromask. Of course I don't know how they would work for your bridge problem. I'm just saying that they should work for scuba as well as free diving.

Freediving masks work fine for scuba, although they often provide less field of vision. Masks designed for scuba usually have higher internal volume and often, but not always, provide better field of vision.

Freediving masks work fine for scuba, although they often provide less field of vision. Masks designed for scuba usually have higher internal volume and often, but not always, provide better field of vision.
Thanks! Good info.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT