• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about Riffe C #3X

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erman

May 5, 2005
All,

Here is my dilemna. I need a silent, fast, accurate gun with effective range, that is kill range around 5 meters from the spear tip with possible future upgrades...

My main target is a shy, very alert, and smart fish of Aegean sea around 5-12 kgs (dentex), never truly approaches closer than 4 meters. Often even that is generous, driving me mad !!!

I have thought about this long and hard ( perhaps for some not enough :wave ). Here is my solution. Buy a Riffe competitor 3X (2 bands, Hawaiian), but its quoted effective range is 4.11 meters. I need perhaps 1 more meter, so add the third band, and walla range gets closer to 6 meters. I am assuming that 9/32 by 57 shaft will not loose its accuracy with the added power.

I would certainly appreciate more-informed opinions and well-constructed counter arguements from the elders of this forum :cool:

Pls no flame wars about spearguns.

Thanx

Erman,
Welcome to the board. I would think seriously about something along the lines of a totemsub tahiti 120/130. It is very quiet and very accurate. For something like dentex you might want to PM shaneshac on this board as he hunts the med and dentex. I use both totemsub and riffe and for a very elusive fish requiring stealth and high levels of accurancy I would not select a riffe for this job.

As far as the Riffe goes, here is the info:
Model/stock/shaft and range hawaiian/shaft and range standard
C3/130cm/1 wrap, 2 bands, 9/32" single flopper, 4.11m
C3S/130cm/2 wraps, 3 bands, 5/16" double barb threaded shaft, to 6.11

Note that there is a lot of options. C3 models are C3, C3S and "C3XS" You can mix and match. The C3 will take 3 bands, 9/16 x 24" Shafts can be about any but common are the 9/32" x 57" hawaiian and 5/16" x 55" threaded double barb. The 3x "gun is 3 inches longer due to a 3" cocking stock for hip loading

Price wise I am not sure but you might want to look at a standard series model 3. This already comes with a 5/16 shaft, threaded w/ 2 barbs and 3 bands with stated effective range of 6.10m which appears to be what you want. You can add on a wing kit later and it accepts ALL riffe parts.

Hope this helps a bit-I would still go for the tahiti though.

Last edited:
Erman
Try the C3x and upgrade to 2 x 5/8 bands. I bought the c3xs and i'm actually downgrading it to a 3x, with 2 5/8 bands and a 9/32 spear.

Hi Adam,

Thanx for the response. It looks like you have a plan, and reason behind the changes that you will be making on this gun...

What kind of fish are you going after ? Range, size of fish, behaviour, etc ?

And, the changes you are planning to make, what are the assumptions or facts you are basing them on ?

Sorry for the blunt questions, but I want to learn more and make well-thought decisions :).

I will truly appreciate your comments.

Thanx a lot

Erman

Hey Erman
I mainly hunt Snapper, Grouper, mackerel, barracudas and a wide variety of jacks etc......all are usually under 10 lbs.
I mainly hunt around reefs and the species of fish are very alert and cunning, so I think that a faster spear (9/32) with a little more power should do the trick.
I prefer to use 2 bands than 3, so I will upgrade to the 5/8 bands rather than use 2 of the existing 9/16 bands.
I'll also try another configuration which is: 2, 5/8 bands with the 5/16 spear...i'll see how that works.
I tried a friends c2x and I was amazed how fast his spear (9/32) travelled compared to mine (5/16).

Why don't you try the c4x?
The effective range is 4.72 m + the length of the gun 1.95 m = 6.67 m and thats with the stock 9/16 bands, just upgrade ot 2 x 5/8 bands!?

Hey Adam,

Snapper and Jacks should be similar to dentex, and I am sure cuda's are faster moving than all.

Do you have problem tracking these fast guys with the Riffe's, or your type of hunting is which ever one comes in to the kill zone first ?

BTW, I think 4X might be a little too large to handle for me (cumbersome), although I have never tried a Riffe in water. I am leaning toward 2X or 3X with Hawaiian 9/32 shaft, and perhaps a mid-handle Riffe or the same size...

Thanx for your help. I will keep your points in mind...

Erman

Erman
I chose the competitor series because the slimmer stock is easier to manuver in the water. Tracking isn't much of a problem though, it's just I prefer to use 2 bands which makes the 9/32 spear more attractive not to mention alot quicker than the 5/16.

You'll be happy with the 3x, it comes with a long spear ( 57") and pretty acurate.

Good luck with those Dentex!

Erman,

I shoot a Riffe mid-handle #3 or Hawaiian. I use 3 9/16 bands on it with a rest tab on the spear for loading ease and quickness. I hunt very timid snapper and grouper in remote parts of the sea of cortez. With the 3 bands I get alot of range and with the mid-handle design I get faster tracking on my fish. I have no problems with accuracy or dependablity. I maintain 4 guns of this type in my quiver because of its overall useability on many types of fish. If you get very clear water and have long shots you can go for the islander and up to 3 5/8 bands and nail wahoo and tuna.

I would go with the teak mid-handle #3hawian with an ice pick tip.

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com
www.spearfishingvideos.com

Erman,

If i were you i would stick to Antons advice. I don't discredit Riffes but those TOTEMSUB are just made for what you are talking for. Riffes are more suitable American stlye spearing i think...

At least i did not see many person whose got Dentex with Riffes on the other hand i have tons of pictures of people uses TOTEMSUB or smillar type guns for those dentex.

Hi Erman,
You can try this one for dentex as well.The spearo is memo one of our members using 3 x18 mm 106 cm GTT gun of esperasub.
Aydın

Attachments

• oratauw3.jpg
    oratauw3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 377
Sorry I 've forgot to say that also the same firm is planning to make a midhandle model of the same gun. :)
Aydın

aydin is that one esperasub or abellan? as far as i know memo is buying abellen stuff right now :hmm

Memo is using Abellan guns as well,but this is Esperasub,we were on a two days special İzmir,he was my guest and tried the Esperasub gun.I took that photo , :) nice orata...Aydın

Nice to see some more Turkish guys around :)

Ok, how much do they charge for the GTT gun in question ? The web site is far from being truly informative. No size info is also given :duh

BY the way, 3 weeks ago I had a bad knee injury playing soccer. And on the 20th had my ACL reconstruction surgery. Well, if it stopped there I wouldn't have worried much but my doc told me that lateral meniscus sustained a long term injury also. His advice was to cease competitive soccer and basketball, what a bummer !!!. On the flip side, now I can focus more on freediving and spearfishing :)...

Colleteral damage is no summer vacation this year, so I will be postponing my decision on the speargun. But, my ultimate plan is to buy a Riffe 3X (or No Ka Oi) and if the price is right get an Esperasub. I can write a comparison for you guys in a year...:)

Erman

has anyone tried installing a front wing kit on the competitor 4xs? i'd would like to hear comments on this.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT