• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question about X-fire 115

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

walleed23

Mar 16, 2011
I was buy a X-fire 115 .
And I have an experience in spear fishing about 10 year .
I had an riffe spear gun "C3" and it was perfect
On this year I heard a lot of people on internet Interested about X-fire 115 and X-fire 105 and a lot of Compared with Riffe and a lot of spear guns.
I try it,Unfortunately it Not expected as I heard.
I asked about Xfire Performance on internet. a lot of people write the Methods to upgrade a power of the gun and Increase the distance to hit the target .
what the pest way to do the upgrade
in spear size and bands size?
and
How will the distance to hit the target after the upgrade?

Last edited:
riffe is a way better speargun. the trigger mech is solid, and the only plastic is the handle. get rid of it (x fire). do yourself a favor. those plastic and aluminum guns have plastic safety which will break quickly. plus they are noisy in the water. they shoot straight, but a wooden gun is far superior. that riffe will be around for decades if treated with a little respect. that seac sub will be a broken piece of crap in less than five years.if you must use a plastic railgun, get a rob allen or a rabitec. the rest of them are mostly cheap crap these days. i have never known anyone to go from a riffe to a plastic railgun. i HAVE known plenty of people who have done it the other way around,(me for one) ... ps: talk to marwan: he has like every gun there is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not stick with the C4 - awesome speargun?

If you really need more both more range & power, you probably need a longer speargun (120/130 maybe even 140/150/...?). l agree with Jtkwest, that a heavy duty railgun (such as RobAllen/Rabitech/Orcas/FreeDiver/Mako) or an American-style "woodie" (Riffe/Wong & I believe there is a Greek company that makes wooden tuna guns too, and Tommy Botha in South Africa), perhaps with 2 or more 16mm rubbers, or something like a large pneumatic, such as the Mamba or the cool Omer airbalete.

However, longer guns will be more cumbersome in the water because of increased drag & mass. Multiple rubbers take longer to load/re-load and will cost more to maintain. Pneumatics are expensive but usually very powerfu (& noisy)l.

There is a v. good thread on exotic spearguns that is currently active, started by forum member Spaghetti. Lots of wooden beauties and cutting edge carbon.

The Seac Sub X-Fire comes with a nice all stainless steel trigger cassette, a decent 17.5 mm single band and a thin 6,25mm hawaiian shaft made of excellent Swedish steel.

But the set up should tell you that it's a weapon for the typical Mediterranean/European spearfishing requirements: quick, manouverable and acceptably accurate for the small and nervous fish we have over here. Not very powerful for distant shots on massive fish. That's what guns like Riffe's are designed for.

Obviously, a speargun is a hunting weapon. Same as on land you wouldn't dare to shoot an angry charging wild boar with a catridge full of tiny birdshot, same at sea you wouldn't shoot a massive kingfish with a basic euro set-up. On a lucky day you can make it, but even if you succeed to the kill, still you're not using the proper weapon for that task.

If you still want to experiment with your X-Fire 115, try at least a 6,75mm spear with a 60/62 loop cm of Cressi G20 rubber, or two loops of 16mm H. Dessault rubber. Shoot with a stiff arm and see what happens.
Otherwise, get a massive gun designed for heavy setup.

Why not stick with the C4 - awesome speargun?
Oh, I see, Riffe C3, not familiar with that one but Riffe are pretty high-end. Why not stick with that?

Most euroguns remain pretty powerful to the end of the spear-line in a normal "single-wrap" configuration. I've had my mine snap a rather deteriorated 3mm muzzle bungee that was in hindsight too short & too old for the job.

Thank to all
I already by a x fire
At present I will try to do changing
About shaft, what I should use 6.75 mm or 7 mm?
About band , what I should use if I use shaft 6.75 ?what about if use 7 mm shaft, what size and how many bands?

You should be able to use 1x20mm or 2x16mm with either if those diameter shafts. They are both "in the ball park". In general, thicker spears for more power (although I seem to recall that Rob Allen did some experimentation with thin spears). Standard equipment on my Omer XXV is, I believe, an 18mm band with a 6.3mm shaft. I also use a 1x20mm band with a 6.5/6.6mm RA shaft (although I prefer it with 1x16mm bulk rubber - which is plenty powerful enough for the UK IMHO).

14mm bands aren't much used in Europe but I believe in Hawaii 2x14mm bands is a popular set up. I found my bulk rubber 20mm a pain to load (although it soften after a few years) - bulk rubber set-ups are generally more powerful for given diameter (for several reasons), I believe.

From a power perspective the options would look something like this:

1x16mm < 18mm < 20mm < 2x14mm < 2x16mm Most Power

From a force to loading perspective it would look something like this:

2x14mm < 1x16mm or 2x16mm < 18mm < 20mm Most difficult to load

From a time to reload, it would likely look more like this (as 2 bands take longer to load than one):

1x16mm < 18mm < 20mm << 2x14mm < 2x16mm Slowest to reload

Last edited:
I recalled the X-fire but could not recall the muzzle design, so I thought it might be useful to include some image links:

x-fire_3.jpg
Looks like you have a double bulk-rubber muzzle, so all of the above options should be available to you (assuming your spear has two wishbone notches, so that it can accept 2 rubbers).

In your position, needing significantly more power (are you sure that is the problem?), I would probably consider the 2x14mm option or 2x16mm options. 1x20mm is a faster load (which may be a consideration if you tend to see a lot of fish for a short time) & you can take a lot of the discomfort out of it by using a thick, dense supplemental loading pad. However, the 2 rubber options will be more powerful & significantly easier (albeit slower) to load. Double rubber also gives you the option to "de-power" around rocks/caves, & a back-up position if a rubber/wishbones fails - although those aren't major considerations for most.

We did some power estimations for various rubber combinations in the past. 2x14mm should be only slightly more powerful than 1x20mm. Also bear in mind that much/most bulk rubber comes from the USA and so its true diameter might be closer to its imperial/non-metric equivalent size in fractions of an inch.

Although big American woodie guns often have 3, 4 or more rubbers, I believe it was Rob Allen himself that once expressed the opinion that he didn't see the need to ever go above 2x16mm bands -- and folk get huge world record fish with that combination, so he has a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
I recalled the X-fire but could not recall the muzzle design, so I thought it might be useful to include some image links:

x-fire_3.jpg
Looks like you have a double bulk-rubber muzzle, so all of the above options should be available to you (assuming your spear has two wishbone notches, so that it can accept 2 rubbers).

In your position, needing significantly more power (are you sure that is the problem?), I would probably consider the 2x14mm option or 2x16mm options. 1x20mm is a faster load (which may be a consideration if you tend to see a lot of fish for a short time) & you can take a lot of the discomfort out of it by using a thick, dense supplemental loading pad. However, the 2 rubber options will be more powerful & significantly easier (albeit slower) to load. Double rubber also gives you the option to "de-power" around rocks/caves, & a back-up position if a rubber/wishbones fails - although those aren't major considerations for most.

We did some power estimations for various rubber combinations in the past. 2x14mm should be only slightly more powerful than 1x20mm. Also bear in mind that much/most bulk rubber comes from the USA and so its true diameter might be closer to its imperial/non-metric equivalent size in fractions of an inch.

Although big American woodie guns often have 3, 4 or more rubbers, I believe it was Rob Allen himself that once expressed the opinion that he didn't see the need to ever go above 2x16mm bands -- and folk get huge world record fish with that combination, so he has a point.
I but this gun and is To hard for my to loade do you have an option for my

Jeez are you using a really bad predictive phone text editor? Please clean up your text before posting,
Boissonflake, and please don't double post, it is against forum rules.
Perhaps better to discuss your issue on the thread you created to ask the same question: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/need-help.111158/

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT