• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question for the English

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Dinner?
Tea?
Lunch?
Supper?

what's the diffs, and what times...?

dinner is quite posh - usually evening.
tea is what common folk like myself have - early evening.
lunch is just lunch, eaten at lunchtime! if you're really posh you say luncheon.
i rarely hear people say "supper" these days - i think it might be somewhat old fashioned - usually a late evening meal.

well... according to my dad...tea is at like 4..i guess either on weekends or just after peeps get home from work.. the around 5-6 is supper which is a light meal of cheese, bread etc, and then at like 7 is dinner which is the full meal with everyone sitting together. and lunch is your typical 12pm mid day thing... could be slightly off but thats the gist of it..!

Lunch is in the middle of the day, tea is about 4pm, and supper is in the evening. I think dinner is like supper.

I eat all day if given the chance, so I've probably forgotten. ;)

Lucia

drunkinbda said:
...tea is at like 4..i guess either on weekends or just after peeps get home from work.. the around 5-6 is supper which is a light meal of cheese, bread etc, and then at like 7 is dinner which is the full meal with everyone sitting together.

Is all this on the same day? And I thought I ate loads! rofl

island_sands said:
Dinner?
Tea?
Lunch?
Supper?

what's the diffs, and what times...?

rofl rofl

• Lunch early afternoon meal 12:00 - 13:30 (unless your common like me and its called dinner)
  • Tea Afternoon tea and cake/biscuit 16:00 - 17:00 (Unless your again common in which case its your main evening meal[Dinner])
  • Dinner main evening meal 19:00 - 20:30 (evening dress)
  • Supper late snack taken if formal dinner was omitted in favour of tea 21:00 - 23:00

I Australia on weekends it goes like this

Lunch = between 12 - 2 useally a barby with lots meat and a Can of beer or 2 or 4
Tea = what we seldom dive in when the vis gets bad
Supper = a coctail or Girly drink
Dinner = The Barby is still going but your getting drunk the beer goggles are on and the ugly girls or looking allot better.
Are the good old days when i was a pup

Crusty

lol! so going out for dinner is when you do something formal, having "yer tea" is around early evening..
which is the main meal of the day?

crusty said:
Lunch = between 12 - 2 useally a barby with lots meat and a Can of beer or 2 or 4
Tea = what we seldom dive in when the vis gets bad
Supper = a coctail or Girly drink
Dinner = The Barby is still going but your getting drunk the beer goggles are on and the ugly girls or looking allot better.
Exactly. Just like some of the good ol' Brits in summer time.

Actually - last week a few us went for lunch and didn't stop having "lunch" until around 10:30pm.

The next day was tough.

yeseye stephan!! way to stretch it out!! we did that at school onetime. went in at breakfast and just stayed in teh caf while they closed, cleaned, set up and re-opened!! damn eating is fun!!

I'm with you Alison. I hate the terms for dining as used by the common people.
I'm never really thought about what we call each meal.
The servant rings the gong and we turn up.

Reactions: Mr. X
That's why so many moved west!

On the farm: Before dawn: coffee
Around 9:00 am: Breakfast (eggs, biscuits, gravy, pork chops, etc.)
Midday: supper (The big meal of the day)
After dark: dinner (something light to tide you over 'til breakfast)

Everyone else: Breakfast, lunch, dinner.

One of the main regrets in my mispent youth is not having a relative with a farm to eat at while was still able to seriously enjoy it.

:D

Oldsarge said:
That's why so many moved west!

On the farm: Before dawn: coffee
Around 9:00 am: Breakfast (eggs, biscuits, gravy, pork chops, etc.)
Midday: supper (The big meal of the day)
After dark: dinner (something light to tide you over 'til breakfast)

Everyone else: Breakfast, lunch, dinner.

One of the main regrets in my mispent youth is not having a relative with a farm to eat at while was still able to seriously enjoy it.

:D

pork chops for breakfast?? MMMMMMMM good job i wasn't brought up like that... i'd be too large to fit the farm door frame rofl rofl

i think i have it clear now

AM: Breakfast - either before sunrise and just coffee, or skip breakfast like the Aussies and just prepare for a 12:00 barbie

12:00: Lunch, followed by a liquid lunch lasting til tea-time where you will have a light refreshment wearing beer goggles :friday

20:00: Get dreshed up fer dinner starting with some girly cocktails :girlie wearing formal dreshes :hungover

Eat dinner and gear up for supper around 22:00 'cos the barbie is still going

22:00 Drink some more girly cocktails which will tide me over til breakfast when i can eat my pork chops :p

:friday :friday

in my family...
Dinner - what some people call supper, what we call it if we go out
Tea - cup of tea and a slice of cake about 3pm or when you get back from school
Lunch - this one is easy, the same everywhere
Supper -what some people call dinner, evening meal about 8pm.. in other households it means a glass of milk and a biscuit before you go to bed and after dinner or tea...

we used to get beaten if we referred to our evening meal as tea.. in fact I think we still would...

s

Oi all of you .........get into the water - LESS TALK MORE ACTION - THE BASS ARE WITH US

squinty said:
Oi all of you .........get into the water - LESS TALK MORE ACTION - THE BASS ARE WITH US

hey we are just off-gassing!
Will be in the water all day tomorrow... :cool: and its 35 deg outside :friday
after that... i'll be just about ready for me tea... rofl

Last edited:
Mackerel sandwiches........all day........difficult to spear, keep you fit (good for your eyes - HUFA's & PUFA's)..................SCRAN...........shove it in grab a swig of 55% proof ARAB BUSTER from Jordan and get back in amongst the Kelp------watch out double figure pollack.............

(an owl in a bag hurts no man !)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT