• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

question regarding teak blank thickness

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

geowave

Jun 11, 2012
Hello All,

I am planning to begin my first speargun building project in the very near future. I have spent countless hours reading everything about this I could find. There is however one remaining question I haven't found a satisfactory answer for. This question is in regards to the thickness and width of the gun and how it relates to the number of bands, thickness of the bands, length of the gun, and spear size. I realize that all these factors and maybe even more should help determine how thick and also how heavy to make a gun.

Is there a magic formula that can help me decide the dimensions? What other factors should I be taking into consideration? I think my first build will be a rather simple, open track euro type gun with two bands to be used in fairly murky water. Probably about 1 meter total length. I am hoping for answers specific to this gun and also recommendations that will help with future guns of different sizes.

Sorry for making this so long but I still have one last question... What are the benefits of making a speargun wider than is is thick and vice versa?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone willing to tack these questions for me!!! It will be greatly appreciated!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT