• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

quick reply

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kirkerik

newbie freediver
Aug 16, 2011
sometimes when posting a quick reply i get bumped when i press the post reply button. i get a prompt showing i do not have permission or i am not logged in when my username is clearly listed at the top of the page.

so i log in but go through a few windows to get back where i was. As long as i remember to copy the text i can just paste it in later.

any ideas?

Not to sure about this but i'll have a word with a clever bloke i know to see if he can shed any light on it.

Podge asked me peek in, since I have some experience with this kind of problems. Occassionally it happens to me too that I lose the content of my post when submitting it. It happens very rarely (max. couple of times per year - and I post frequently as you can see). Usually it is due to connectivity problems. However I never got prompted to log in again, so the problem in this case may be different than the connectivity.

One possibility that comes to the mind is some cookie blocker software (most anti-virus software have such opiton), but then it is strange that it does not happen more frequently. Another possibility may be that between loading the page and submitting it, your IP address has changed (that happens at most people, since IP addresses are often assigned dynamically and renewed regularly). I think that normally it should not matter, since the cookie would assure identifying you anyway, but if it is blocked somehow, it may be the clue.

If you have a dynamic IP, you could run a test by intentionally resetting the router (to get a new IP address) just before submitting a written message - if you can reproduce the unitnetnional logging off, then we have localized the problem. If you want to test it do it in this way:
  1. note your IP address (see it for example at www.whatsmyip.org)
  2. load a DB page, type a message
  3. power off your rooter, wait a few seconds, and then power it on again
  4. verify your IP address again. If it did not change, try resetting the router again, waiting a bit longer (a few minutes). If it does not help, you may try waiting a few hours or a day (letting your browser with DB open). If you still have the same IP address, it may be a fixed one. In any case write the address down, and the next time you get logged off, verify whether it changed or not.
  5. submit the prepared message. If you get logged off, it is likely the IP address that caused it. Try repeating the procedure to confirm the theory
It would interesting to know what type and version of browser, OS, and AV software you use - perhaps we could then look it up better.

BTW, since as I wrote it happened to me several times that I lost a written text when submitting it (and due to Murphy's laws it was always quite a long text), I learned to always copy the message (Ctrl-A + Ctrl-C) before submitting or previewing it. Also using the preview frequently at writing the message helps, since you can then go back in the browser history to recover the original text. Unfortunately this does not work directly - when the submission fails and you go one page back, the message is empty. Only if you did a Preview in the meantime, the last preview can be recovered. That's a big disatvantage of the vBulletin forum software. In some other forum applications you can recover the message by simply going back.

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
There must be a limit on when the session expires - this is usually the reason these sort of problems occur when posting a long message that takes time to write.

No, there is no real limit at DB. Or it is very long. I stay logged in even after several days of inactivity (which is rare, but it happens). It will definitely not kick you off while preparing a reply (assuming you do not spend months on it)

Might be in the way sessions are handled - is DB running on one server?

ip address test... powering off router.

powered up the router and refreshed "whats my ip" same address. now clicking post reply.

i'll see if longer wait times will change my ip address. In the meantime just copying the text is what i'll do.

Thanks

Kirkerik, please post a bit more info, so that we can better localize the problem:
  1. How often does it happen?
  2. What type and versions of browser, OS, and AV software do you use?
  3. Are you able to replicate the problem?
  4. Do you sometimes get logged off without posting too?
  5. Are you sure you were actually logged in before trying to post the reply? (you can see it in the upper right corner of the forum header - when you are logged in, there is "welcome kirkerik"
In fact, the #5 seems to be the most probable to me - when you browse the forum, you possibly do not notice you are not logged in until you attempt to post. If it is so, then remains to find out why you do not stay logged in. Most likely is that the cookies are not accepted by your browser. If you tell me what browser you use, I can tell you how to verify it.

Last edited:
It also might be the cookie for logging into the site is corrupt. Happens very occassionally but can cause that behaviour.

Best thing is to logout of DB, clear you cookies and temp internet files, shutdown browser, then restart again and go to DB.

Kirkerik, please post a bit more info, so that we can better localize the problem:
  1. How often does it happen?
  2. What type and versions of browser, OS, and AV software do you use?
  3. Are you able to replicate the problem?
  4. Do you sometimes get logged off without posting too?
  5. Are you sure you were actually logged in before trying to post the reply? (you can see it in the upper right corner of the forum header - when you are logged in, there is "welcome kirkerik"
In fact, the #5 seems to be the most probable to me - when you browse the forum, you possibly do not notice you are not logged in until you attempt to post. If it is so, then remains to find out why you do not stay logged in. Most likely is that the cookies are not accepted by your browser. If you tell me what browser you use, I can tell you how to verify it.

1. not very often. though during one or two sessions it happened two or three times.

2. im running firefox 3.6.2. on OS X vers. 10.4.11. No anti-virus.

3. no

4. i think so.

5. yes.

I sometimes do not shut down for a couple days or more. Since i shutdown and reboot it has not happened.

Every time i shutdown my cookies clear but i get a new one when i log in and click the remember me box.

Thank you for your insight.

It also might be the cookie for logging into the site is corrupt. Happens very occassionally but can cause that behaviour.

Best thing is to logout of DB, clear you cookies and temp internet files, shutdown browser, then restart again and go to DB.

Done, as briefly described above in the previous post. Could be it. I have not had an issue since doing so.

thanks papa smurf.

Well, a different IP address alone is not necessarily a problem. You would need to test it exactly in the way described above to see whether it really is. You should also check in your cookie folder whether the cookie for deeperblue.com exists.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT