• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RA breakaway - miles?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LaJollaFreedvr

Aug 10, 2002
well - some of you would be proud...i bought a RA 130cm yesterday with the stainless trigger mech and line release as well as a 7mm shaft and 2 bands...this thing is ready to go...but what is your preferred method of breakaway other than the RA breakaway which you have to drill through the body for?

Reactions: Cingene
Hiya LaJollaFreedvr

Congrats on the new gun!!!! May many, many fish fall prey to your new weapon!!!!

The link Cingene posted has quite a bit on info on break-aways. I posted a link at the end of the above-mentioned link, which shows some pictures of my break-aways:D :D

Regards
miles

Reactions: Cingene
This is my setup.

The bolt goes through the safety slide hole. So make sure youre ok with not having a safety...

Attachments

• 1.3 gun2.jpg
    1.3 gun2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 365
Reactions: Mr. X
Hey Shadow is that rust on your eyebolt??? I think you can use that to give the white sharks a lockjaw...rofl. Just kidding...How's the weather down under mate?

Rust? yeah....

Seems that 'Marine grade steel" isn't the same as Stainless...:eek:

I have since spent the extra 50cents and gotten a SS eyebolt and nut. After cutting the old one off...:D

Weather: Cold southerly gales are howling, 4m waves pound my dive spots... Luckily I have whiskey and chocolate to ride it out, and "Blue Planet" to keep me entertained.;)

Last edited:
Hi all
Been looking at these break away rig photos and posts - got a few questions:

Once the rubber pulls out from the eyelet is this the order of events :
fish --> shaft --> line --> float

ie in other words is the fish pulling a float on a line with no connection to the gun nor spearo ?

Just trying to get an idea for float fishing/breakaways.

Also, if you dive down what happens to the float and float line ? If the float is on a line then you need to have a line of say your dive depth or else you will come up short - does that mean having line kicking around on the surface ?

Or is there a reel involved paying out line ?

Cheers
Ed

Hiya portinfer

Welcome to the bane of all spearo's, the FLOATLINE!!!!!!

Ok, the float is attached to either 30 or 40m of floatline. This is attached to the gun or shooting line in this instance. There is normally wind or current around, so your floatline will most of the time be fairly straight. Spearo's tangling with their floatlines are a common occurence, but you soon get the knack of diving with one. Floatlines are a topic completely on their own. Some guys make their own with PVC tubing, so that it floats and tangles less.

The benifits of using your gun as a break-away rig is that should you shoot a big fish, you can only lose your spear and floatline and not your gun. ALso when hunting fish like GT's, that love to swim through caves and reefs when shot, there is no damage to your gun. The most important reason for me is that i like to have a gun in my hand. Some-times it gets a bit hairy with sharks trying to steal your fish and you being un-armed. Even a unloaded speargun is a great physcological comfort, well for me at least.

When shooting smaller fish, a reelgun is my choice. No floatline. Simply a reel attached to the barrel of the gun. In this way, i've always got the gun in my hand. When diving like this, your greatest fear is other BOATS. Since you have no float, they can't see you. MUCH MORE DANGEROUS THAN ANY SHARK!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Regards
miles

Cheers Miles
Just thought I'd check as that was keeping me asleep at night !
Weird - so you just drop 30metres of line in the sea and off you go ? I guess that this is more for open water hunting.

As the fish are small, there are lots of rocks and I dive shallow I'll stick with a normal type gun.

Trying to sort out a rail-reel-gun which should be sweet when it arrives. Just got to find some big fish now... (been really scarce recently).

Well cheers for the info.

Ed

Once the rubber pulls out from the eyelet is this the order of events :
fish --> shaft --> line --> float

ie in other words is the fish pulling a float on a line with no connection to the gun nor spearo ?

I have the same (beginner's) question:
once the fish is speared, should I keep a hold on the float line?

Hiya Rifmaniac

Alot depends on the size of fish and shot placement as well as size of your float. General consensus is to hold onto the floatline if you've made a solid holding shot. Only BIG fish will be able to pull your float under, so for most instances you can hold onto your floatline.

The only time i don't hold onto the floatline is when i've made a bad shot and am afraid of the extra pressure that might cause the fish to tear off the spear. I simply then get a second gun and shoot the fish again. If no second gun is available, you simply play the fish very gently, trying not to put too much pressure on the fish.

Some fish might have a tendency to swim down and try and reef you. In such cases, after the shot is made, grab the floatline and swim the fish away from the bottom. If you're too tired or out of breath, go up and quickly pull the fish off the bottom.

Hope this helps

Regards
miles

i finished!

i finally decided to settle with the hawaiian breakaway rig...shadowkillers just looked a little too ghetto for me, and for some reason i kinda like having a safety:D

all i did was remove the old mono, and gave 3 wraps of 250 lb mono ending in the stock bungee...which now clips to the line release. my float line clips to loop on the bungee so when the gun is fired and the line release drops the line is disengaged with the float...gonna try it out later this week on some yellows hopefully...thanks for your input guys

Ghetto-looking or not, shadow's rig has been proven to work ;) I use the hawaiian style, but modified it with a mini-quick release pin that attatches to a single strand of line coming offf the swivel. That way if I stone a fish(sounds better than missing), there's enough tension to keep the gun attatched to the shooting line. Not a huge difference from the traditional hawaiian style breakaway, but when I do tie into a bigger fish, it also allows me to use the clip on the gun to clip off to my weightbelt. Useful since I get excited & forget to put my arms through the free-floating gun's bands. :eek:

edit: BTW, nice splice job shadow. I love how streamlined that looks. Nice contrast to the rest of your "ghetto" setup. :D

fuzz said:
...I use the hawaiian style, but modified it with a mini-quick release pin that attatches to a single strand of line coming offf the swivel. That way if I stone a fish(sounds better than missing), there's enough tension to keep the gun attatched to the shooting line. Not a huge difference from the traditional hawaiian style breakaway, but when I do tie into a bigger fish, it also allows me to use the clip on the gun to clip off to my weightbelt. Useful since I get excited & forget to put my arms through the free-floating gun's bands. :eek:

I am having trouble picturing this. Can you please describe what the mini-quick release pin is and where it is placed ...or show us an image? Do you release it manually?

The more I think about, the more I like the RA breakaway -- it achieves what is required with minimal parts. BTW, why is the steel spear-line release included/required in their upgrade kit -- seems like there would less pressure on it rather than more on it than normal?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT