• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RA vs. Riffe..Buyers Remorse??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sask

Jun 11, 2002
merry christmas to everyone!! well, the sask is having buyers remorse. (i got some extra money for xmas).. should i have waited and spent some more and got a Riffe in stead of a Rob Allen?? so here is the question for all you spearos

Rob Allen 110cm vs Riffe Metal Tech 3

which is the better gun? (for all around purposes ... white sea bass, yellowtail, halibut, etc) (interchangeable parts, upgrades, durability, etc)

i hate to bother you guys with all these newbie questions.. i just want to do it right the first time.

Merry Christmas to all and i hope Santa brought you lots of toys!!!!!!!!:) :)

if you did get it right, how would you know? Regardless of the gun chosen, eventually you will want another(probably sooner or later:D ) Kinda like your first girl:cool: . So be happy, go hunting, and like the rest of us, lust after other mens possessions, the exception being you can tell them how much you'd like to trade guns for the night.......:hmm

Last edited:
Hi Sask ,
You have a gun , now go and use it ...;)
If you are a relative newbie I would suggest you concentrate on aquiring the necessary spearing skills and breathhold rather than agonizing over whether you have the "best" gun .
If interchangeability and upgrades are that important to you , IMHO get a Riffe .
THose things are the spearing equivalent of Harleys ; always something to tinker with . Wether that makes them better is for you to decide . :D

Don't sweat it, Sask. You know what? I got a Riffe Competitor #3XS and did exactly the same thing. Started thinking I should have gotten a #3 Standard, because there's more wood in it. What I realized is that I have a perfectly good gun. Not one thing wrong with it and it kills fish. I can use this one for a while and get something else for my next gun.

Actually for my purposes I'm glad, now, that I got this gun instead of my first choice which was a mid-handle. In fact I like this gun so much that I'm getting the 10 yr. his own Riffe Competitor #1 as soon as it comes in.:)

Reactions: icarus pacific
Originally posted by Abriapnea
Hi Sask ,
You have a gun , now go and use it ...;)
If you are a relative newbie I would suggest you concentrate on aquiring the necessary spearing skills and breathhold rather than agonizing over whether you have the "best" gun .
:D

Nicely put Abri, and correct.

Just go and have some fun Sask, safely, and if you get the chance to try a Riffe, a #3 would be smooth for your locale. Getting the ideal gun first thing off isn't going to do your game any good, though it'll hasten the process. Those RA's swing pretty nice so you'll be able to do the twisting thing in the kelp and still have enough stability for popping a calico out in the open. That rail will help those shots out. An RA of that length will be easy to take through the surf and all as well.

And smooth points to you SpearSlinger with hooking the gremmie up. My son, the Mighty Pudman, just got his Competitor #0 and is already buggin me about when he comes out for Summer. Nice things to work toward...

sven

Reactions: Abriapnea
Thanks guys

thank you for the help/advice. Being new i just want to do things right, from the start, to ensure i have lots of fun and avoid regrets down the road. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all very soon (hopefully the experiences will have lots of fish..lol) .

Thanks Again, Sask

Byers remorse after purchasing a RA?
Highly unlikely in my opinion!

Enjoy your new found power and accuracy!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT