• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Railguns, realguns, band guns, I have used them all

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mtr

Jan 15, 2003
I still go back to my Nemrod pneumatic air gun, one of which I gought new in 1974, a Mariner 2, wich still hunts just fine and I have only had to change the air once a year, I own 4 band guns and most of the time they stay home. Nemrod center grip trigger works best for me in our local conditions off Washington State USA. Problem is that Nemrod has gone out of business, so parts are getting hard to find. So now I'm trying to find out about Cobra spearguns made in Brazil, the model I'm interested in is the mini. Guys and Gals, I have been at this for a long time and I have heard them all about which type of speargun to use, I even made some up myself, and have decided that you should use what ever you want to drag around with you underwater.

I been trying to search Cobra www on the net but no success. I just want to learn what they are offering. If u ever can get info on them do share with us/me.

Why don't you just get a Mares, they are OK and parts easy to get. I have an 85cm Cyrano for memory sake as I started hunting with a Mares Sten and Scubapro pneu.

Overall for ME, a pneu is high maintenance and not that powerful if compared to a good band gun. I wasted 5 in 4 years. Not to mention the super loud popping noise it generates when shot.....:confused:

Anyway goog luck on ur search.....

Nemrod

Hi, if Nemrod was still in business I would not think about another gun. Mares, and the others are rear handel triggers, for our Bulkelp rocky reefs I need something I can move around in this stuff, it can be rather thick. I like the center trigger of the Cobra, and since Nemrod is gone I want a back up gun incase I have a O'ring go bad, I have only had a couple go bad, and have always had back up, but now with Nemrod gone and parts a problem. I have a Galeon 1 that is almost 40 years old, I have only had to change the piston o'rings twice. The Galeon has help provide me with a lot of good meals. If I get any info on Cobra I will post it.

...like I said in another thread, there are a few Nemrods on ebay, so stock up on other's divorces, etc.
First gun I ever shot was a Galleon, so I know what you mean about the balance and all...

sven

Reactions: Mr. X
Ebay

MTR,
Heres a link to an old Nemrod on ebay, maybe you can use it for parts.
Good luck
Anthony
Tampa
FL

[ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2704294900&category=1300[/ame]

First gun I ever shot was a Galleon

Really? Did it put up a fight ? Did you manage to land it ?

For one usually so smoothly eloquent Mr Pacific ... tut tut tut.. :D

Skin.

1969, Horseshoe Cove, Sonoma County, California. It was an open water checkout dive and my buudy and Instructor was looking th eother way when I saw a 10 poundish Cabezone, a rockfish resembling a large sculpin and about the best tasting thing around here. Kinda reminds me of Anderson in that it's a lot of head withut much meat... :t I grabbed the Instructor's fin, pleasing him to no end, and he handed me the gun.

Having never fired one or knowing where the safety was and all, suffice it to say that the Cabazone's tail was hurting for a few days, but not as much as my pride.

Later forays proved much more successful though I gravitated to using bandguns due to the lower cost then.

sven

I was just out of US Marine bootcamp July 30, 1969, won a slot as a Recon Scout, and qualified for Navy Dive School. I like diving so much as soon as I got back home after a tour in Viet Nam I started buying my own gear, I still have and use from time to time a steel 72 tank and old US Divers double hose reg. I still use a Nemrod Mariner 2, it is a monster so I take it only when I'm going after something pretty big, I bought it in 1974 and it still works as good as when I took the first shot back then. Most of the time a Galeon 1 is enough of a gun to take what ever I want for dinner.

@mtr and Icarus pacific,

I'm looking for the workpressure oft the galeon spear gun. Are you able to help me with this information?

thanks and nice day

cin

Reactions: josedesucre
Here it is the cobra web page, Ted Budion know every thing there is to know about these guns.

COBRA

I have couple of them in my closet in Brazil

@mtr and Icarus pacific,

I'm looking for the workpressure oft the galeon spear gun. Are you able to help me with this information?

thanks and nice day

cin
Hi, for the Galeon 1 max pumps is 150 with the Nemrod hand pump. You might start with 120 pumps and work your way up or down. Remember that the deeper you are the less power you will have. I have a Nemrod gun filler and pressure gauge to check gun pressure and load air pressure.

Well I wanted to give it a try. I have been here off and on for sometime now. You never know what might be of use to someone.

Reactions: josedesucre
Well, it was providential for CIN that you visited DB on time for helping him, and of course his post showed that he did his homework searching the forum, found this thread and didn't hesitate in resurrecting it despite its age. I congratulate him for his resourcefulness and thank you for your help. You both deserve rep points for that.

Hi, for the Galeon 1 max pumps is 150 with the Nemrod hand pump. You might start with 120 pumps and work your way up or down. Remember that the deeper you are the less power you will have. I have a Nemrod gun filler and pressure gauge to check gun pressure and load air pressure.

150/120 is this in PSI. I think yes but I have the feeliing this is to little. I try 20-25 BAR.With thar a strong shot was possible. 150 PSI (10 bar) against 25 bar - so I'm realy need the technical limit from the equipment. think so,

regards cin

Hi, 150/120 are pump strokes from the Nemrod pump you use to fill the Galeon. 150 pump strokes=25bar, which is max pressure. I use my Galeon 1 at 22bar to 23bar which is about 130 pump strokes.

Hello, good board to come and check out what is going on around the world in spearfishing. I hunt off my washington state coast for lingcod and most rock fish, also gather rock scallops. My family and I love seafood and we use all we get. I have been using Nemrod spearguns for sometime, got my first one 1972 which is still in good working order, I have Galeon's, Clipper's, Mariner 2's, a Corsario and Comando. I like and use them all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT