• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rain of new world records in Dahab

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
From Facebook, unconfirmed and unofficial:

New WR by Alexey Molchanov - 125m CWT in 3:38, and New WR by Natalia Molchanova - 127m VWT in 3:38.

Congratulations!

Congrats to them both! nice to hear some good news as well this day.

That's a huge dive by Alexey, and the fact that it was his first depth world record attempt must have made it so much harder - full credit to him for pulling it off!
It's just a shame that such an incredible feat was overshadowed by the hoo-ha over yet another sled-diving mishap.

That's a huge dive by Alexey, and the fact that it was his first depth world record attempt must have made it so much harder - full credit to him for pulling it off!
It's just a shame that such an incredible feat was overshadowed by the hoo-ha over yet another sled-diving mishap.

As a freediver fan more than athlete I feel sorry for this internal blood feud between discipline. I think this is really overshadowing the amazing efforts and risks and results achieved by elite athlete like you, Herbert and Alexey.

Alexey's CWT dive was a success, and still received FAR less attention than a sled diving failure. Don't you think this is a shame Thomas?

It's nothing new though: sled diving accidents (4 deaths, 10 serious incidents in the last 15 years) have regularly overshadowed the athletic disciplines. At least this time the name of AIDA wasn't attached to the incident.

Alexey's CWT dive was a success, and still received FAR less attention than a sled diving failure. Don't you think this is a shame Thomas?

Accidents always get more attention, no matter the discipline involved. If it was the opposite I believe it would have been the same. Is it a shame? It might be, depending on the reasons behind it. i certainly disagree with the general public "accident curiosity" but here on DB I trust is definitely because everyone likes Herbert and wants to sincerely be assured he's doing alright. In this case I don't see it as a shame, just an unfortunate case of bad timing for the two events.

It's nothing new though: sled diving accidents (4 deaths, 10 serious incidents in the last 15 years) have regularly overshadowed the athletic disciplines. At least this time the name of AIDA wasn't attached to the incident.

First i believe NLT always overshadows the other discipline, even (lol) when there are no accidents: it simply attracts more attention from the general public, sponsor etc etc. This is not an issue for me at all:everyone is free to have favorite things to be interested in.

Second I think I know your opinion on this issue since you stated it clearly in other post and i do not agree completely with it. I agree NLT is the most dangerous discipline in freediving but I don't think accidents can be fully avoided in other discipline either ( last WC comes to mind where only amazing luck saved a guy from getting recorded on video while getting lost under the sea). As for the athletic part it is surely different but i wouldn't go as far as saying it is not athletic at all. no much moving, not many muscles involved but still Some heavy shit is happenning down there and body, spirit and mind are definitely challenged to quite an high level.

Anyhow I didn't mean to rant so much, but I'm on a train to Parma and I have plenty of time.

Ciao e continua Cosi ;)
Thomas

Reactions: pehtran
re: Will... Rainhold Messner: We go to a place where we can die just so that we will not die. This is an art. Where there is no danger of death there is no art.... Mortal danger is the key ingredient of alpinism and those who claim the opposit are complete idiots. To those who are saying that we should avoid death threatening situations - to those I say: stay down in the valley! Up there is danger.

Messner was also the purest alpinist - he climbed Everest with no oxygen, set ropes or sherpas. He was the first and probably last to ever do this, since now there are permanent fixtures on the mountain to aid an ascent.

This isn't the topic of the thread now, and I apologise if I caused it to go off course. I only meant to pay tribute to Alexey's phenomenal performance, and express my regret about it being obscured behind contemporaneous fiasco.

I was amazed myself. I just happened upon the Molchanova's records by chance on the day they were made. [and have deleted the rest of my remarks in the interest of the greater harmony].

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT