• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Raw Food Diet- Thoughts,Tips,Recipes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

commonerg

Half Man, Half Chlorine
Jun 3, 2004
At the beginning of this year I started on a raw food diet. I know from Eric Fattah's latest article he's on type of diet also. Anyone else out there doing this?

Any tips on overcoming bread cravings? :head

Good recipes?
I have a book with some stuff to try and I'll share what I've found, but so far none of the meals have been spectacular.

Is all this work really worth it? :confused:

Reactions: oferdegi
I know this is a REALY obvious thing to say, but if you want alot of raw food, you might want to look into sushi (man its deeeelicious, and raw as can be)

so this book you have has 100% raw meals? If theres anything good (especialy meat or appetizers) drop me a PM, I could use the protein, but I'm dying to try any new food, especialy if its good and healthy. Thanks -Matt

As raw as sushi seems, generally the rice is steamed, and sometimes the nori (seaweed) is roasted). I have to agree with you on it being tasty. Real sushi might be one of the reasons I don’t stay 100% raw for long.

There are a number of nice sushi recipes that use things like grated carrot instead of rice. Some also used rice that has been soaked for a few days. I can't imagine that soaked rice is a tasty and fluffy as steamed rice, but I'm sure it's not terrible.

Generally the raw food diet contains no meat. I've heard of a few people eating raw fish with it, but mostly it consists of uncooked fruits and veggies, lots of nuts and grains- oh and sprouts- raw food heads seem to eat a lot of sprouts. I haven't really figured out the sprouting process yet.

The key to the raw food diet is that any time food is heated above 116 f, the natural enzymes in the food are destroyed forcing the body to produce enzymes to break down the food. Some claim cooking also lessens the nutritional value of the food. That’s a discussion for another day though.

I'll post up the sushi recipes I've found and some little finger food type snacks.

Good point, is he still on the raw food diet?

He says "My raw food diet provides no salt"-- sounds like he still does it. I commend anyone who can do this for 5 years.

commonerg said:
The key to the raw food diet is that any time food is heated above 116 f, the natural enzymes in the food are destroyed forcing the body to produce enzymes to break down the food.
Sounds kinda quackish to me. The pH in the stomach is 1-2 which usualy denatures most proteins that aren't supposed to work in such an acidic environment and there are different proteases in the stomach, gut and cells that absorb materials from the gut and basically screens what goes from the gut to the inside of your body (blood). If there are whole functional proteins that survive all that I assume they are a rare exception rather than a common case. I know it is not the only 'pro' for raw foods, just saying this particular reseaon behind it sounds bogus to me.

By the way, I think Eric posted somewhere that he noticed that a change in diet leads to improvments that lasted averagely about 8 months and after that the benefits from such diets seem to dissipate. Mayve he can show up and opine. :)

(I am not trying to discourage you by the way, incase it seems like that)

No no, i'm not discouraged. I have some reservations myself to the "science" behind the diet. I needed a change, and I thought this might be something to try-- challenging if nothing else. And if nothing else, this diet will make me enjoy good food even more. My plan is to try this for a few weeks and then use what i've learned to incorporate more healthy living foods into my diet. I'll certainly enjoy good food more afterwards. One of the reasons I chose raw is because of my respect for Eric F. I hope he will comment.

The article about the 67m dive was written 5 years ago. I hadn't seen it in years... it appeared on Deeperblue without me even knowing it.

I am not on the raw food diet anymore (I went off it in late 2000). If anyone plans on trying the diet, I would recommend hybridizing the diet adding spirulina, chlorella, undenatured whey, flax/hemp oil, organic yogurt, liver powder and vitamin supplements. I also recommend minimizing fruit (less than 30% of total calories). The diet would be high in nuts, seeds, greens, non-sweet fruits and vegetables (olives, avocados, red peppers, tomatos, cucumbers, celery etc.) Coconuts are essential.

Here's a great guy who has been doing diet experiments for 30 years:
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/bio/billings-t-bio-1a.shtml

Reactions: DeepThought
Thanks for the tips, looks like I'm going to have to figure out this whole sprout thing if I want this to continue.

That link is great. I can't believe he ate only raw fruit for 9 years.

Sashimi is just raw fish and no rice... mmmm gimme that to eat every day!!

I did the raw thing and also took some of Eric's advice in previous dieting posts, got good results but being a carnivore i didn't last long and had to revert to the blue steaks again rofl

i did find (perhaps too much info again) that i had a system overhaul on the raw food thing and my skin, hair and eye brightness improved and needless to say all the water and piping works rofl
:yack

efattah said:
The article about the 67m dive was written 5 years ago. I hadn't seen it in years... it appeared on Deeperblue without me even knowing it.
I only noticed that it was an old article when I had read it and one of the links below it was to the original article. Usually it says something like 'From the Archives' so everyone knows it's an article from a few years ago, but this time it didn't.

Interesting link about diet.

Lucia

On the other end of the scale, I did Atkins for 4 months a couple of years ago, mostly staying in the introduction phase where you limit your carb intake to about 20 grams a day (20 grams would be about 2 handfuls of salad and 1 handful of veges except for potato, rice and a couple of others).

I don't want to start the carb vs no-carb debate but I did observe a couple of things.

Because you stay away things with sugars and processed ingredients such as flour, you don't really put any sauces, gravies or other flavour enhancers on your food. As a result, you learn to appreciate the flavour, texture and freshness of food again. And not just meat either, it made me look at vegetables differently too. Generally we rely on making foods taste different by adding things like salt, cheese, stock etc. when in fact, they already taste great but our taste buds have been accustomed to the same old rubbish from a bottle.

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: oferdegi
i am observing the guy "on diet" in your avatar rofl

BennyB said:
On the other end of the scale, I did Atkins for 4 months a couple of years ago, mostly staying in the introduction phase where you limit your carb intake to about 20 grams a day (20 grams would be about 2 handfuls of salad and 1 handful of veges except for potato, rice and a couple of others).

I don't want to start the carb vs no-carb debate but I did observe a couple of things.

Because you stay away things with sugars and processed ingredients such as flour, you don't really put any sauces, gravies or other flavour enhancers on your food. As a result, you learn to appreciate the flavour, texture and freshness of food again. And not just meat either, it made me look at vegetables differently too. Generally we rely on making foods taste different by adding things like salt, cheese, stock etc. when in fact, they already taste great but our taste buds have been accustomed to the same old rubbish from a bottle.

Cheers,
Ben

naiad said:
Not if it's wallpaper paste.

Mmmmm... wallpaper paste...

or grout.. mmmm you know that you should marry a man who's a tiler ;)
if he lays right the first time....

I have been 50% raw for a while now and began increasing that recently. The things I'm not willing to give up are coffee, and my after weight lifting protein shakes. I have noticed a huge difference (for the better) in my energy level, skin, hair etc.

Anyway, if you are feeling hungry increase you fat consumption, avocados, olive oil (cold pressed I believe), and raw nuts and seeds, almonds, cashews, sunflowers seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. Generally picked up at the health store. Also, dried fruit (dehydrated) as long as it has no additives is also raw as it would have been dehydrated below the require temp. IMHO, You have to have adequate fat, protein, and carbs in your diet or you will not achieve the health you are looking for.

Also look into raw food energy bars such as Lara Bars or the new raw hemp protein bars called Vega Bars.

There are tons of recipes on the net so just go googling. :)

Oh also....Raw Almond butter and anything with Raw tahini is divine!

Being 100% all at once I would think would be really tough to do.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: island_sands
efattah said:
.....I would recommend hybridizing the diet adding .....flax/hemp oil........

Just a note about flax oil: it may increase the risk or increase the spread of prostrate cancer.

See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/NS_patient-flaxseed
or [ame="http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=flax+seed+prostate+cancer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8"]flax seed prostate cancer - Google Search[/ame]

Not totally conclusive. Maybe there's a risk. Why take the chance?

Now, apparently, whole, fresh flax seeds do not promote prostate cancer. Fresh flax seeds can be ground in a coffee grinder (also good for whole fresh wheat) and taken with juice. Ground flax seeds also have added benefit of fiber.

In peace,
Glen

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT