• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

rec free diver want to know how to breathe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pelican

May 18, 2004
I have been free diving with a snorkel and never pushed myself for depth or time. I am interested though while floating on the surface what preparation for the dive by way of taking breaths and exhaling. Is there a simple way to explain the procedure.

Sorry may need to explain myself a bit more. The scenario is typical snorkeling water depth variable but generally shallow. Lots of surface swimming to get around and view the underwater life. Occasional dives to see something close up so the resting on the surface before the dive is ok but there will be lots of swimming in between. Recreational snorkeling. If I was trying to explain to a friend then what I am hearing is no need to take large breathes prior to the dive.

Last edited:
First of all, never dive without a buddy watching, or you could end up dead.

To maximize your dive ability, the method of breathing is not that important, just don't breathe very much at all. What is much more important is not to move. The longer you stay motionless and relaxed at the surface, the longer your dives will be. No movement at the surface, minimal effort from breathing as well. Try resting motionless for 5 minutes, taking only 2-3 breaths per minute.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT