• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

recipes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andrsn

Just visiting...
Aug 26, 2001
hey everyone,

send me some of your favorite seafood recipes! i want to put some good ones on my webpage.

if you want your mug next to it, send me a pic, too. :D

thanks,
anderson

# 1

Kewl Thread

My favourite recipe ...

1 Galjoen +- 2.5 Kg's(This is a fairly fatty reef fish, they don't grow that big - around 6 kilo's MAX. This can be substituted with any type of bream, bronze bream works very nice as well)
2 Banana Leaves
Tinfoil
Coarse Sea Ssalt
Black Pepper
Garlic
2 Tbsp Butter (NOT margarine)
100 ml Fat Free Yoghurt (optional)
Parsley (Fresh or dried)
Fresh Basil
3 Tomatoes
1 Onion

Gut the fish, leaving the head, tail and skin on. Clean the stomach cavity very well with pot - wire or a scrubbing brush. Slice tomato and onion into rings, season with parsley and layer inside stomach cavity.

Spread the foil on a flat (sand free) surface, lay banana leaves on top, lay fish on Banana Leaves, grind black pepper over it, place butter and garlic on the fish (It might help to melt the butter beforehand) Season the whole thing with parsley, and pack with salt. Pour the yoghurt on nad add the Basil on top. Fold banana leaves over and around fish, close the whole packet making sure it's completely sealed.

Now this is the fun part. Dig a hole about 30 - 40 cm deep in the sand and bury the fish in it. Make a fire on top of the burried fish, roasting vegies, potatoes, corn etc etc on the fire. The fire will need to go for at least an hour before the fish is done. Scrape away the coals, dig out the fish, and CAREFULLY open the foil. You don't want sand in the food, and you don't wanna burn yourself with the steam.

Break the fish into chunks and serve with vegies. Finger Lickin' Good!!

PS: If you don't want to add the yoghurt, you'll need to add either more butter or a can of beer before closing.

#2 : How's about some lobster ?

4 TBsp butter
1 chopped onion
garlic to taste
2 Sweet peppers (Green / Red / Yellow Peppers)
2 lobsters, meat only
Black Pepper
Coarse Sea Salt
1/2 to 1 cup Breadcrumbs
2 TBsp Jalapeno sauce (or make your own hot sauce)

Melt butter in a frying pan and saute onion and peppers until soft. Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add pepper, hot sauce and stir.

Mix lobster and breadcrumbs. Put lobster mix into oven proof dish, pour sauce over meat, and put into pre-heated oven (around 350 - 400 Fahrenheit will do) for 15 to 20 minutes. You can also add some grated cheese (mozarella, matured cheddar or parmesan) 5 minutes before it's done. Serve hot or cold.

#3 Hot sauce

Family recipy. They'd kill me if they found out I gave this away :D

30 - 50 Portugese Chillies
OR
20 - 35 Jalapeno Chillies
OR
5 Brazillian Chillies (Long Orange kind)
10 Portugese Chillies
1 Habanero (or more if you know wat Kahuna's are :D )
5 Jalapeno's
1 Green Pepper

1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic
2 tsp sugar
55ml Jack Daniels
50ml White spirit vinegar
1 med carrot
pinch of salt
dash of black pepper
2 tbsp Ketchup (I prefer Heinz 57)
1 tsp Mustard powder
80ml Olive Oil

Crush garlic and onions in pestle. Add chllies, mash up with sugar and oil.
Drink 25ml Jack Daniels on the rocks, add 30 ml to the paste, add salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar. Put into food processor and chop for 5 minutes. Add finely sliced carrot and sliced Green pepper (If applicable) and mix with a spoon. Let it stand for one hour, spoon into a glass jar with a screw-on top, and refrigerate. Keep refrigerated - the longer it's in the fridge the hotter it will get.

Great with any Mexican food, any type of meat, fried fished, or use whilst cooking. Jack Daniel's essential.

#4 - I'm gonna carry on posting untill someone else steps in ....

Grilled fish ... very basic, this is the way I normally prepare fish on the grill

1 cup butter
2 tsp crushed garlic
juice from 1 lemon
1 Butterflied fish - Baracuda, Snoek (?) or Wahoo

Melt butter in pot, add garlic and lemon juice.

Cover grid with tinfoil. Put fish skin down onto foil, add to medium - hot fire. Baste with sauce from time to time until fish is done. Yummy :p

the ladies, they love it

OK, this works, you owe me...

Take your basic 3-4 pound snapper or midwater, white fleshed rockfish. Clean the belly cavity, pat dry and toss in a little salt and white pepper. Stuff the cavity with a crab salad mix of real or imitation crab, (surimi), mayonaisse and chopped green onions. And garlic. Brush the skin w a little olive oil and place a couple thick slices of lemon on top, then place 4-5 inches under the broiler for 4-5 minutes per side.

Quick and simple, just like the cook.

Throw on a little sprig of mint to show you care.

sven

Last edited:
this one's for her sister...

Take the other snapper and fillet it, getting all da bones. Take your time.

In a non stick skillet, melt half a stick of butter while she's remarking how well your bathroom is decorated. Dust the fillets in a bit of flour and into the melted butter on fairly high heat. Take the juice of at least two healthy lemons, three if she's cute and pour over the browned flour stuck to the pan after removing the fillets to your best warmed plates. Scrape and stir and make Iron Chef noises while she admires your collection of shells, then add a cup of dry white wine. Careful! Don't use more than a cup- she'll need the rest. Reduce this to about a third and when done, pour a layer onto the plate, place the fillet on, and then drizzle the rest of the sauce on. Serve with panache and flair. Turn off the TV.

Side with a little fettucini and something green, like tomatoes in vinegrete and lay back while she expresses her admiration for the great hunter.

Hey it worked for me. Once.

sven

now we're talking!

might i acquire your gent's permission to put these on my website?

muchas gracias señores!

~anderson

That's the idea ..

You asked for recipes 4 ya site, you got it.

Have fun!

PS: Where's the PHOTO'S?????

red snapper?

Hey,

That looks more like a red zapper, we don't have any that big up here. What size frying pan do you suggest?

Fd48

come on fd48, don't you know your fish species? that's a swedish meatball! rofl

Man Sven,
Talk about waxing poetic, are you sure your name isn't "Rico Suave' "? I'll have to try the recipe and technique. Also gald to see someone else using the Esclapez fins, I was beginning to think I was the only one out here w/ all the carbon fin craze going on. Take care.
Jay:D

I got yer meatballs...

Yeah free, it's the industrial size zapper. Actually since Anderson asked for photos, I included it as it's the only one I have of me and in my gear to boot. I can't make a guess as to the size pan that something like that bazooka would fill, but I hope to find out soon! Stay tuned as I'm privy to a sweet trip for spearo-types that's going together as I type.

And yes Jay, those Esclapaz fins, not flippers, are the choice of most of my big-footed, strong legged, dim witted fans, currently numbering..... 1. They've held up good though around the rocks and all, and have been behaving in my midwater training. And howzabout that rare Farallon snorkel eh?:cool: Rico-wise, hey if it attracts anyone of the female persuasion, or snapper, well it's allllll good.;) Maybe I should put it up on some persoanls site and title it, "Comes with own rubber".

Man, now I opened up a can-o-worms...

sven

off the subject

Since the last several posts have nothing to do with recipes, I'll add my comments:

Sven - I noticed (admired) your snorkel in the photo and was going to e-mail you about where you got it. Now I know that it is the "rare Farallon snorkel" that you are trying to find another one of. I have a Voit snorkel that I bought off of e-bay ($5) that looks very similar - thick bore and all. It has been my best snorkel (even better than Picasso) but recently the rubber bite grips (non-scientific term) broke off. I have been trying to find another but they don't make them anymore (at least not available on any websites or Voit's homepage). So if what I can tell from the photo is accurate, you may want to try to find a "rare Voit snorkel" as well.

I too have a pair of the black Escaplez fins that as I use as a spare to my Picasso BT's.

Regards,

Scott

mo recipes from rico

Here's one that's guaranteed... Pepper seared ahi.

Score a couple of thick ahi (tuna) steaks. It's OK to tell her that you got them yourself. If she thinks you meant with the speargun hanging over the headboard, fine.

Heat up a cast iron fry pan while you rub a little olive oil over the steaks then dust them with coarsely cracked balck pepper. You're looking to make a crust of the pepper. Add some oil to the pan then slide those bad boys in. Count to 15, flip, count to 20 then remove to your already warmed plates, to which you've laid out an artfull presentation of asparagus and fresh salad greens with a drizzle of raspberry vinagrette.

The ahi should have that seared look on the outsides and be just cool in the center. This recipe even makes me want to ask my own number! ;)

Re: mo recipes from rico

Originally posted by icarus pacific
This recipe even makes me want to ask my own number! ;)

Hey whatever you like Sven, just don't tell the other hand:naughty about your "gun" hand.
Cheers,
Erik Y.
you get the last laugh...my wife's overseas:waterwork

i'm so thankful we're all a bit mental! :D like jimmy buffet says, if we weren't all crazy, we'd all go insane!

cheers fellas,
anderson
.._[:]p

w/just 1 ??

Aquiles-

...per your website, the ceviche recipe

now, what goes down easy with a beer?:hmm

sven

Cayman style...
Put a layer of sliced onions, green peppers and tomatoes on bottom of two layers of foil that will fit in whatever shallow baking pan that you have. Layer whatever fresh fish (in approx. 1/2" to 3/4" thick boneless fillets) that you have on top. On top of fish place more onions, peppers, tomatoes, (very thin sliced potatoes if desired), ketchup (even a touch of tomato paste), worcestershire sauce, touch of soy sauce, plenty butter (real), Pickapeppa sauce (should be able to find in US - if not E-mail me at Tunaking@hotmail.com and i'll send you some). Seal with another two layers of foil (put a hole in top to vent) and bake in oven until done (this is one fish recipe that cannot be overcooked -350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours is usually good - sometimes i'll let it go for longer!). This also works great on a BBQ. Recipe is not fixed - put whatever else you like in there - it will taste great (make sure that you have Pickapeppa sauce though!)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT