• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Recommend a gun ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hi everyone !
I am looking to buy a new speargun and would very much appreciate your advice.

I live in Europe and go out snorkelling with a speargun (never with tanks) for small to medium sized fish.

They are normally bass and the like. Can you recommend a gun for me ? I currently have an old foot loader / aluminum / range is about 3 metres.... (not very powerful / accurate) but it was my brothers so no cost :)

Anyway, I would like one with more range and accuracy. The visibility is quite good and we go down in about 20 foot of water.

I have no fixed opinions on what style / brand / model but would like something that will last and also isn't too much (up to £100)

If you can recommend anything I would be grateful.
Ed

port-

take a gander at some of the other spearo threads. plenty of debate out there about guns. should give you some good leads based on conditions your diving and how much coin you want to drop. i'll throw my 2c (speaking of 'coin') in for a rob allen 110.

-m

Hi Ed,

M_2 is right about that there are lots of debates on spearguns - you can use the search engine. By the way I recommend you Beuchat and Omer.

Peter

In have used nearly every make of eurogun in the book.

By far the least problems have been given by my Cressi guns.

I would recommend the Comanche but change the bands to the G20 or S45 for greater power.

Omer guns are good but you will never be able to use bands other than Omer (and they aren't that good)

Beuchat guns have also given a few of my friends some trouble.

I have also got a Picasso century which is also bloody good.

Make sure you go for a gun which you can get spares for readily.

hi

Just putting my vote in for the Rob allens :D

cheers

For my first gun i got an Esclapez Challenger 1.1m. I wasnt intending to spend that much but i though what the heck, it'll last me a few years, cheap and its all i need for smaller to medium species. Goes great aswell for a beginner.

Where are you from Portinfer?

If you are from Medeterenenan 110 cm gun is not good for begining. You can use that king of guns for more specific purpose. I recommend you 90cm gun if you are european. If not, check your local speros what legth are they using.

I just noticed you are from europe. 110 cm gun is too big for begining. with 75 cm you can easily make some rock hunting. This what i and other beginner speros do coz of the lack of apnea. If you say no, i will improve my apnea very soon and make descent ambush technique like me :D you will need something bigger like 100cm. My next gun will be 100 cm and i am planning to buy second gun 75cm for caves othervise i really have to be master with thumb shooting tech. It seems difficult to me but you have to that if you don't want to scare the fish or scratch the carbon barell ;)

For 100 pound you can buy Rob Allen railgun or OMER Excalibur (latest version)

I agree with Murat. Woulda thunk? :confused:

If you're in Europe I'd go with whatever you can get parts and service for. And if you can swing getting an RA, you could do a lot worse.

man that hurt. :D

hi

Nah man that felt good to here that Ra word from Sven in a :cool: way

cheers

hi

Murat at least if you get that Omer 100 you will have a gun to still be prouf of :p

cheers

Hi Ivan,

Yes but after reading that corrosion problem... I think OMER doesn't test theirs gun enough. But i don't have anychance to buy Railgun now. My last try was unsuccesfull to buy Torelli Track gun from local picasso dealer. Unfortunatelly they don't aware of Torelli Track Gun. I gave them link to the Legendary Skindiving Equipment. I thought if they see that its releated with picasso they can get one from original supplier in the europe. But today they send me an e mail saying Torelli Track guns are the same with Picasso Black line guns. Probably they just see the picture at the entrance page.:duh Anyway my hands are tied up now coz new OMER gun party stuck somewhere due to the shipping.Only 3 OMER Alluminium gun will come. The shop owner said one is for himself. I said him to reserve one 100cm gun for me. I hope he doesn't sell them all.:(

hi

Far out man what an effort to get a gun in your country, I thought spearfishing was huge over there, guess that is mainly Italy and Spain.

Once you get a good gun you better look after it considering how much effort is invovled to get the gun in the first place.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Far out man what an effort to get a gun in your country, I thought spearfishing was huge over there, guess that is mainly Italy and Spain.

Once you get a good gun you better look after it considering how much effort is invovled to get the gun in the first place.

cheers

Italy, Spain, Greek, France all of them have speargun manufacturers. But here if you want to buy gun, you have to pay 3X more money to get from foreign countries or you have to pay 2X more money and get what is available with all that hassle. Just like other undeveloped countries.

We blessed with good sea may be there are some fishes also (not as huge as the ones in ocean) But you have that kind of difficulties. In this island hunting is the main sport. In the winter 95% of the mans goes to the land hunting and the summer 50% to spearing another 30% for pole rod.

hi

You sure are blessed with having some of the most beautiful bluest water in the world :cool:

Dont worry about small fishes, being able to see the bottom in 40M of water is just as good as seeing big fish ;)

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

You sure are blessed with having some of the most beautiful bluest water in the world :cool:

Dont worry about small fishes, being able to see the bottom in 40M of water is just as good as seeing big fish ;)

cheers

Really ?? :t

40 meter is a bit exaggerated. At least i didn't see it yet. Actually i didn't swim 40 meter of water.:duh Hehehe....

But will try to find some experianced dive buddy to train me.

hi

At the recent Sony freedive comp in Cyprus they had 40-50m vis on some days.

cheers

Ah ! ! !

:hmm Then we have to have 80 meter of visibilty here. Coz everyone saying that our sea is better here in North Cyprus. You have to see the coast man gold sand beach flat surface. Max tide height is between 0.5-1 meters. Wheather is 40+ celcius. Trees and beach joins together with see. :cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT